Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oysters make Pea Soup?

Wet Dream
    Anyone else have oysters turn everything into green pea soup the next day? I did a few of them on the grill last night and I'm suspecting those may have disrupted the normal production...

topless
    Anyone else have oysters turn everything into green pea soup the next day? I did a few of them on the grill last night and I'm suspecting those may have disrupted the normal production...
    They are out of season. You are only suppose to eat them in months that have an R in them.

yopengo
    They are out of season. You are only suppose to eat them in months that have an R in them.
    not JUNER?

rrrr
    JU NEed to know this stuff if yer gonna eat those things.......:jawdrop:

Wet Dream
    I thought you weren't supposed to eat them if they DO have an R in the month. Then why the hell do they sell them in JUNE?

Wet Dream
    Ok, after doing a little Googling, I couldn't find anything about not eating them during some months. With todays availability of being able to transport fresh food from around the world, the old wives tale doesn't hold true. Oysters can be flown in from any area that oysters are in season. There is however a story from late July of last year that RAW oysters from the pacific northwest were making people sick, and before that was the Texas region in 1998.

topless
    I thought you weren't supposed to eat them if they DO have an R in the month. Then why the hell do they sell them in JUNE? In those months they double as Pea soup.

Wet Dream
    In those months they double as Pea soup.
    It only lasts for up to 48 hours...might have to get more.

topless
    Here ya go. I'm not eating them until there is an R month.
    http://www.fabianseafood.com/oysters.htm

HowardFlat
    My dad is an oyster and clam farmer in the pacific northwest and i was up there working with him when the oysters got shut down last summer. It happens when the the temperatures get warm and bacteria in the mud gets in the oysters. it doesn't harm the oysters but causes you to get sick. but if you cooked them good you shouldn't of got sick. also during the summer months they spawn and when you open them they are all milky inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast