Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need driveline help

wright27
    I purchased a 78 Challenger. I have a dominator pump that Jack at MPD just finished for me. Well the guy I bought it from said it was set up for a bbc. Well I put the motor in on the mounts that were in the boat when I bought it and my H-BAR is 7 and 1/2 inches and I only have 4 inches between the end of the shaft and the flywheel. Also the rear of the motor sits way to high, the angle of the driveline just is not right.
    Should I drop the back of the motor and also move the motor forward?
    Also I never took the intake out of the boat and it is not set straight. It is 3/16 off and the driveline sits at an angle if I were to move the motor forward and down.
    Please help
    little out of focus but you still can see it is crooked
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...id=11217&stc=1
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...id=11218&stc=1
    Please help what do I need to do.

whats it going to take to lower the engine? you also need to check that the driveline has end play. you dont want the driveline to bottom out on the bearing clip inside the jet pump.
    It doesnt have to be dead nuts straight, but it needs to be reasonably straight.
    nice looking dominator, looks good!!

Crankshaft and pump shaft should be parallel and offset vertically by 1º to 2º.

ONAROLL
    Im a little confused but here goes................
    1. Could it be the other guy had a set up for a flexplate and you have a flywheel in this one, (adding length)?
    2. Did you use the same drive coupler as the othe guy had?
    3. Did you bolt on a crank hub behind your flexplate or flywheel (adding
    length)?
    4. Are you sure your mounts are bolted in correctly?
    5. Is the crooked intake in relation to your engine or relation to the bottom of your boat?
    6. It is not unusual to have to shim mounts to get a precise angle, any shims laying around?
    7. If you have to, get your drive coupler out and look at your mounts very close, forget the coupler for a little while and see if you and get the engine in proper position using the mounts that came with the boat. then figure out the proper distance from your flexplate/or flywheel to your pump shaft. if you have all the original hardware and the last guy ran the same engine you probably just have something a little off, stare at it, drink a beer and stare at it some more..........Vic

wright27
    Last night I was typing fast because I was so phucking frustrated. I can shim, drill out mount feet and make it work. I know it is not rocket science, but I don't want anything breaking on the water. HOw technical and how precise do I need to be. I might be blowing this whole thing way out of proportion. My angle of the driveline is off 3/16 and the height is off by about 1/2 an inch. Is 1/2 inch to much. I can compensate the 3/16 by drilling and shimming. Is it ok to drill out and oblong the feet mounts, or will the motor shift under power.

GUGS102
    Have you measured the centerline of the crank at the front and back relative to the stringers? I was just thinking of the wiggle room I have in my set up and wondering if yours has the same. Maybe enough to take care of the side offset without elongating the mounting holes? Just a thought...
    Gugs

wright27
    Have you measured the centerline of the crank at the front and back relative to the stringers? I was just thinking of the wiggle room I have in my set up and wondering if yours has the same. Maybe enough to take care of the side offset without elongating the mounting holes? Just a thought...
    Gugs
    The mounts are tight to the stringers. The only way is to oblong the feet holes so I can shim, but i am concerned with motor movement under power.

ONAROLL
    Wright,
    its a 4 point mount you should be able to pull the feet tight enough to be secure in oblong holes, if its some ungodly blown deal you may want to rethink that, did the last guy have this problem, if you are finding its crooked after being bolted tight to the rails, loosen all the mounts up and retighten them while watching the position of the engine and pump shaft, utilize your "wiggle room" while securing it again......Vic

wright27
    Wright,
    its a 4 point mount you should be able to pull the feet tight enough to be secure in oblong holes, if its some ungodly blown deal you may want to rethink that, did the last guy have this problem, if you are finding its crooked after being bolted tight to the rails, loosen all the mounts up and retighten them while watching the position of the engine and pump shaft, utilize your "wiggle room" while securing it again......Vic
    If I oblong the holes on the side I need to move over to and shim the others the motor should not be able to move. My next question is motor angle. Can I angle the front higher to lessen the height dirrerence of the H-bar. This should work being as the pump sits at an angle.

ONAROLL
    Wright,
    A little up angle in the front is fine, alot of guys run the driveline dead nuts straight, I agree with a 1 to 3 degree angle on the joints, nail it!!!!.......Vic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast