Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tight Steering

cave
    My steering has become stiffer in the last few years. I have a Morse/Teleflex type cable and cable is around 2 years old. It has a an "S" bend in it at the pump.
    Anyone have a trick on easing the stiff cable. Is there a lubricant I can get and if so where do I start?
    By fall I'll have arms like Pop Eye.

MudPumper
    Have you disconnected the cable from the pump nozzle to make sure the problem is not at the nozzle?

cave
    Yup. When I added the Droop I had to add the extension and I replaced all the connections that where kinda rigged. I added a swivel
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...3&d=1181015198

squirt'nmyload
    the steering in my wriedt progressively got stiffer the more i used it. i tried everything to get it to loosen up but had no luck

cave
    Well Im gunna take this weekend off from the lake and try to fix it. I was hoping some one had an old school type fix for this.
    Saguaro was rough as I have ever seen it. I hit a 4' roller that used every inch of my slash guard. And I was moving forward. Every other boat was a wake boat.

squirt'nmyload
    Well Im gunna take this weekend off from the lake and try to fix it. I was hoping some one had an old school type fix for this.
    Saguaro was rough as I have ever seen it. I hit a 4' roller that used every inch of my slash guard. And I was moving forward. Every other boat was a wake boat.
    doh.....my boat has been sad in the garage the past couple weekends. but we've went to pleasant on a friends boat both weekends and i was really happy that mine was home once we got there and saw how rough it was i'm plannin on taking her out to saguaro next week on a weekday.

OverKill
    Did you ask Phil Bergeron he is old school and just might have an idea

Heatseeker
    I had the stiff cable thing going on for the last couple of seasons, although my cable was several years old. Last year it got so bad that I needed both hands wrenching the wheel just to make a turn.
    I tried to lube it with no luck. I even hung the nozzle end of the cable from the ceiling of the garage and sprayed Zep into it everytime I went through the garage for a couple of weeks(hoping the lube would run down the inside of the cable). It just wouldn't free up. I think that water enters the nozzle end of the cable and just sits inside there corroding the cable casing. At that point, I think it's done.
    I ended up replacing the cable and helm assembly for $140. It was money well spent. I can steer it again .
    An interesting note: In the installation instructions, it said not to use lubricants of any kind on the steering cable. What's up with that?

jag2
    Had the same thing in my Carrera, finally broke it last week on the lake. I have the cable taken apart in my shop, its fixable but not worth your time, ordered a new one, that popeye armstrong steering shit sucks.

Xlration Marine
    Did you ask Phil Bergeron he is old school and just might have an idea
    Yes he always has the answer.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast