Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Welding schools??

Ryphraph
    In the end, the welders will be some of the cheaper tools that you will need. To do anything but the most basic work, your metal cutting, shaping and measuring tools will end up costing many times more.
    Ryph

Kindsvater Flat
    I mostly stick weld stuff rather than using the mig. There are times I use it just not often. Last year I went to 400lbs of welding rod vs maybe a 1/2 spool of wire. My TIG is 300 amp watercooled and is a great old machine. I will TIG before even thinking about gas welding. I had shop classes in school but growing up and living on a farm I was welding long before those. But the key thing most have said is practice, practice, practice. Here is my gear minus the portable welder. And I'm thinking of upgrading my miller 185 to a 250 and be able to run a alum spool gun.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscfarm/welders.JPG

Sun burners
    My son is going to the Covina welding class.
    He likes it, and has 4 certs. Not bad for a 16 year old kid!
    I think the semester is over tonight or next week?

scarabrick2
    get a lot of practice and GET CERTIFIED.. A lot of people can weld.. If your lookind for a job in a fab shop or ? having a few weld certs will get your foot in the door faster. Union paying jobs are great. Mostly all STICK welding. However if your not certified they won't hire you. a 6g weld cert will pretty much get you in the door and started anywhere.
    Rick

MrBeam
    Take a class. It will save you time and money in the long run. Welders can run from small a/c stick welders that cost around $1 per amp to over 3 grand for a multi-process inverter based machine. Taking a class is a cheap way to get some experience with a variety of machines to see which will best meet your needs.
    Kevin

tigtutor
    Try tigtutor.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234