Thread: Gel Coat Repair

NeverEnough
    While my boat was in storage last winter the owner of the building scraped up against my boat and put a long scratch in the yellow. He is going to pay for it and they took it o someone and they wanted to paint it instead of using the normal way of repairing gel. Is this ok? I have never painted any boats so im not to fimaliar with how they work.

shippingguy
    While my boat was in storage last winter the owner of the building scraped up against my boat and put a long scratch in the yellow. He is going to pay for it and they took it o someone and they wanted to paint it instead of using the normal way of repairing gel. Is this ok? I have never painted any boats so im not to fimaliar with how they work.
    I would call down to Ultra (619) 443-1100 and get the exact yellow they use and have it repaired with gelcoat.
    Mike

Taylorman
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL no. I'd bring it to Ultra for repair on the person who damaged its dime.

NeverEnough
    I cant take it to ultra as I live in iowa. He ordered the color from ultra. What happens if it is painted on?

Taylorman
    For one, paint is not as durable as gel. Two, its not a painted boat. Get it fixed by a fiberglass shop. They should be able to repair the gel. It may not be as good as new but it better than paint.