Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Props and "X"

Lavey5150
    I have a New Lavey Sabre closed bow, 525 EFI ,XR drive,Sportmaster, running a labbed 28 five blade. 65 Hours 12 months old. Boat is running a higher than usual "X" . Boat ran 83 MPH at 30 hours and since then it has started to "rev out " at 1/2 throttle? Is the motor getting stronger? The boat does this when there is no weight in the back bench. When there is weight on the bench, the RPM issue goes away? W/ almost full tanks the same RPM issue occurs? I want a Whipple untimately, but I would like to see what I can do w/ the current power.I have spoken to Jim at Herring and he seems to think the 6 blade CNC will work. Who is having luck w. 4 blades? Again, the 4 blade wouldn't apply w/ a high "X" correct...Thanks in advance..............

DMOORE
    Most people on here run 4 blades. Not all, but a large majority. It sounds like you are getting too much stearn lift with the prop you have. When the boat is loaded, it is compensating for this. Thus the prop is getting more bite. I don't think you need to go to a 6 blade. Just something that will give you less stearn lift. BTW, your current prop could be labbed to taylor to your needs.
    Darrell.

Lavey5150
    Any suggestions for the lab work? If this is the culprit?

DMOORE
    BBlades and Throttle Up. Both found on the web. They are the experts and will be able to help you figure exactly what you need. It wll cost a lot less to have your prop labbed rather than go with a new 6 blade.
    Darrell.

DMOORE
    BTW, has the prop possibly been damaged in any way?
    Darrell.

don johnson
    I have a New Lavey Sabre closed bow, 525 EFI ,XR drive,Sportmaster, running a labbed 28 five blade. 65 Hours 12 months old. Boat is running a higher than usual "X" . Boat ran 83 MPH at 30 hours and since then it has started to "rev out " at 1/2 throttle? Is the motor getting stronger? The boat does this when there is no weight in the back bench. When there is weight on the bench, the RPM issue goes away? W/ almost full tanks the same RPM issue occurs? I want a Whipple untimately, but I would like to see what I can do w/ the current power.I have spoken to Jim at Herring and he seems to think the 6 blade CNC will work. Who is having luck w. 4 blades? Again, the 4 blade wouldn't apply w/ a high "X" correct...Thanks in advance..............
    I run 4 blades Bravos on my Daytona with great luck.... Great bow lift props. The 5 blade maximus does have more stern lifting properties as compared to the bravo 4 blade.
    I suggest you put a lower unit spacer on and lower the X dimension a little. Borrow a 4 blade and try one but I would guess that the problem will be worse with a 4 blade. However, it is puzzling why it has just now started to do this. Maybe you rarely ran the boat with no back seat passengers before so you did not notice this????

Lavey5150
    Thanks for the FYI, the prop got very minorly dinged at 25 hours, very minor, cleaned it up, the boat was ran w/ very low tanks at the 30 hour mark w/ 2 people and did the 83 MPH, that's why it is so boggling why it is now giving me the RPM issue....The 4 blade may be the ticket w/ the lower "x" but is that not the whole point of a high "x" to use the 5 blade and achieve more top end........we'll see once I can get som testing done w/ all props......I just want a whipple.................damnit.......

DMOORE
    The thuth is , most performance boats with a high x , will run faster on the top with a 4 blade over a 5 blade. The 5 blade will usually get you on step better, and an advantage in the mid-range cruising speeds. 5 blades also put more stress on the drives due to less slip. My motors have a very high x dimension and I run 4 blade Bravos. Bravos actually work best with a high x dimension and some HP.
    Darrell.

plaster dave
    Does this seam like to big a prop for a 525? I was told you drop down a size or two with a 5 blade.

TIMINATOR
    If you have a maximus, try a Hydromotive P5X, the Max has a lot of stern lift and works better on a stern heavy boat. I have tried most 4s and 5s, there are several big companies that won't sell a maximus unless the diameter is cut down, and the thing is labbed. At that point you have spent a lot of cash duplicating a P5X Hydromotive. TIMINATOR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast