Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with carb setup on a tunnel ram

minnesota_duane
    I am putting a Wieand tunnel ram on my 429. The cam is an Erson .545 lift 228* 235* @ .050. Ported C8 heads with CJ exhaust valves. Hardin logs for exhaust. 10-1 comp. Mallory electronic distributor.
    I have never run a tunnel on anything before and I am lost for what to do for jetting and for power valves.
    The carbs are Holley 750 vacuum secondarys 80508's I know how to balance the vacuum signal to the secondary and will be running the quick spring change tops.
    Boat is a 20' Hawaiian with a Berkley12 JC-A

pw_Tony
    Just run it at first, pull a plug and see how it's running. Obviously jetting will be needed and possibly power valves. I would just kinda jump into it and bring a holley Jet Kit with you on the lake or river or whatever. Can't determine anything until you try it right?

OverKill
    IMO you should ditch the vacume secondaries and go with mechanical. So you don't get mixed signals.

pw_Tony
    Yea mechanicals would be nicer. Wouldn't dual 750's be too much carb for that set-up?

minnesota_duane
    Just run it at first, pull a plug and see how it's running. Obviously jetting will be needed and possibly power valves. I would just kinda jump into it and bring a holley Jet Kit with you on the lake or river or whatever. Can't determine anything until you try it right?
    Thats not the way I do things, you need to be in the ballpark and then tune.
    I know others have an idea on where about to start, will save me fouled plugs or burnt pistons and keep me from looking like an idiot on the water with a paddle in my hand.

Blown 472
    I know others have an idea on where about to start, will save me fouled plugs or burnt pistons and keep me from looking like an idiot on the water with a paddle in my hand.
    Perhaps some reading on say, plug reading, carb tuning? that sorta thing

pw_Tony
    Run it on the trailer for a few minutes and check, and run again until you get ballpark. Then tune it on the lake. I just put a tunnel ram set-up on a BBC. Ran duall 660's on it, it was too much carb, then got brand new 450 dp, tuned it on the trailer the best we could, and then made some passes on the river. We only had to rejet it once from the water after trial on the trailer. It should only take bout half hour or so...

watergun4u
    as far as jets go and the carbs that you are using, and the setup on the motor, i would start with 78's and 80's, I run the 750 carbs and those are the jets i found to be best for the set up i have, I am running more hp, and a more ci but thats a start for you!

Cas
    Duane,
    Get ahold of Jesse at Bigs Performance http://www.bigsperformance.com/
    he'll set you straight from the get go.....they've been in business building carbs since 1962. He's built 2 different carbs for me and they've worked awesome! He's also built carbs for at least 15 others that I know of and they've all worked great also.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I would check with Lakesonly. He has set up alot of killer fords on here and should give you a good baseline with what you got

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast