Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump install ?

bead
    The last time I mounted the pump to the intake I didnt use any silicon on the gasket ( which was new ). I didnt have any leaks .I am remounting it again with the same gasket . My question is ,would you use any silicon this time around? Your thoughts.

Devilman
    When I re-installed my pump, I was told to use anti-seize as it would take care of any minor imperfections in the sealing surfaces & help preserve the gasket in case of future pump removal...... Worked on mine. :rollside:

junkyardhunter
    When I re-installed my pump, I was told to use anti-seize as it would take care of any minor imperfections in the sealing surfaces & help preserve the gasket in case of future pump removal...... Worked on mine. :rollside:
    Anti-seize always works good on paper(garloc) type gaskets plus when you take it back apart the gaskets will not stick to the parts.

4604me
    if the gasket is in good shape, no

HammerDown
    Silicone was bad info for me...yea it was watertight but what a PAIN when it had to come apart!
    Years ago, the Great Tom Papp told me to simply use a good coating of White Lithium Grease...on the Gasket and mating surfaces, really butter it on!
    Tighten up the bolts, the excess will squeeze out and it will be water tight...worked great for me.
    Also, if it ever needed to be removed, no fighting to get things apart.

We always lightly "stick" the intake/suction gasket to the intake with a 3m spray then grease on the top surface (per hammerdown) never have any leaks and simple to remove again if neccesary Tom

bead
    what kind of 3M spray?

baddboyz03
    Bead
    really nice bahner!!! Im in process of re-doing same model. do you know what its called? info on these bahners is hard to find! Im on east coast.if you have any pics of your boat, could you email baddboyz03@aol.com thanks jeff
    not restoring,hot rodding GM crate 572!!!!

bead
    jus took some over the weekend. motor and pump was jus put in and im doing the final stuff as we speak

Jet Hydro
    we use a good coat of White lithium grease

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast