Thread: last few details - mercruiser build

curtis73
    A few kinda random last questions on this mercruiser 5.7 build. I'm buttoning up the details like wiring, trim pump, fuel system, and all the other little stuff.
    1- Should I use any kind of sealant on the manifold-to-riser gasket? Its an aluminum center riser with the gaskets that are stiff and coated with that graphite powdery stuff. Dry? Spray on gasket adhesive? RTV?
    2- Anyone know factory timing settings for a stock 5.7 (260-300 hp) 96-later vortec mercruiser? I think I'll set it to 12 initial and 32 total unless someone has a better idea.
    3- Is there really any benefit to the expensive marine oil, or will any 20w50 work just as well as the next? I'm currently searching the forums in another window so hopefully I can answer this myself, but so far its not turning up my answer.
    4- What's the best way to bleed a new power trim pump?
    5- What oil should be used in a power trim pump?
    6- Dumb question from an outboard guy... How does the power trim operate? I'm just used to "up" and "down" buttons like on an outboard. How does the "trailer" button work?
    Thanks for helping the I/O noob

centerhill condor
    A few kinda random last questions on this mercruiser 5.7 build. I'm buttoning up the details like wiring, trim pump, fuel system, and all the other little stuff.
    1- Should I use any kind of sealant on the manifold-to-riser gasket? Its an aluminum center riser with the gaskets that are stiff and coated with that graphite powdery stuff. Dry? Spray on gasket adhesive? RTV?
    2- Anyone know factory timing settings for a stock 5.7 (260-300 hp) 96-later vortec mercruiser? I think I'll set it to 12 initial and 32 total unless someone has a better idea.
    3- Is there really any benefit to the expensive marine oil, or will any 20w50 work just as well as the next? I'm currently searching the forums in another window so hopefully I can answer this myself, but so far its not turning up my answer.
    4- What's the best way to bleed a new power trim pump?
    5- What oil should be used in a power trim pump?
    6- Dumb question from an outboard guy... How does the power trim operate? I'm just used to "up" and "down" buttons like on an outboard. How does the "trailer" button work?
    Thanks for helping the I/O noob
    1. I'd use some "non hardening" pipe dope or permatex for that application. I really don't like "dry" gaskets.
    2. Sounds about right to me...
    3. 20-50 castrol in the condor
    4. Just run it. It will self bleed eventually
    5. Mine says ATF..doesn't specify dexron, type f, or bmw
    6. ?
    this will get you started...invariably I've made a mistake and will be corrected by someone that actually knows the correct answer.
    CC

Beer-30
    1. They would probably be fine to re-use, but no since risking it. I would get new ones from Merc dealer. Can't be too expensive.
    2. I agree.
    3. I run 10-30 Mobil1 in my 496. If your motor was in a Tahoe or pickup, it would have an oil cap with "5-30" on it. Anything over that is good enough for a pleasure boat. Pick what you want and it will be fine. I would not run synthetic for break-in, though.
    4. I agree. It will self bleed after a few cycles.
    5. ATF works fine. I would run a nice late-vintage Dextron.
    6. If the boat is wired "correctly" (per Merc), the trim button would be limited in travel. It would only go all the way down and only partially up. This was to prevent over-trimming. The trailer button would put the drive all the way up (or down, either way). Mine has both, but they both do the same thing. The trim on the throttle will "trailer" the drive.

curtis73
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I have another question, but instead of asking specifics I'll just ask in general. What other maintenance parts should be marine instead of automotive? I'm thinking of things like oil filter, power steering pump... I know things like water pump and electronic stuff have to be marine, but really how different are all those marine parts?

502 JET
    You will be fine with an automotive oil filter and power steering pump.
    I have been running a power steering pump that I removed from a car for 10 years now with no problem.

centerhill condor
    where are you located? fresh water isn't such a problem...salt on the other hand increases problems.

curtis73
    Located? hehe. Everywhere. I live in L.A. but I boat mostly on a Lake in Ontario, Canada. Its just a short 3200 mile tow
    I don't really like anything about salt water except fishing which I do either surf or from someone else's boat. Despite spending time fishing in salt, I have never had any of my boats in salt water so I just assume that the boat will never see salt. If it does, it MIGHT be one week a year.