Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: nickles

anchored
    I have heard about the nickles between the v-drive and prop shaft. Should there not be any space between them? I have enough space to put probably 4 nickles between them.
    Thanks for any and all advice.

schiada96
    I don't think you should have any gap between the output shaft of the v-drive and the propshaft. Fill the gap with something.

Costello
    Why won't the propshaft but up against the output shaft of the V-Drive? Not enough keyway? I'm with 96, put the nickels in just enough to fill the gap anyhow. The reason nickels are used as shims is to fine tune the handling setup of a boat. With the previous problems you described in regards to handling, it sounds like you are a long ways from worrying about this stage of the game. From the sounds of what you described before (pull left, pull right), the last thing you want to do is have more keyway cut in that shaft and bring the prop forward. Going back is your safest bet at this stage of the game. With that little bite on the shaft with the coupling, I better ask this question..... You are running a safety collar on the prop shaft aren't you? If not do so. You do not want that shaft that is halfway in the collar coming out and smacking you rudder at speed. You'll be on the deck at best, and the boat will sink with a gaping 1" hole in the bottom of the boat at the shaft log.

boat030
    HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!! i think instead of just filling the gap i would find out why the propshaft won't go all the way into the coupler, and even before you do that measure where the prop is so if you get the propshaft to go all the way in you can get it spaced back out to where the prop is now and then you can address your handling problems from there. It is definately not safe to run the way it is now.

anchored
    Well, no there is no collars on the propshaft.I dont know why it wont but up against the output shaft, I have never tried to move it. You are saying not to move the shaft forward but also not to have any gap,one of the two has to give.Is my boat toatally set up wrong or is something wore out, and where do I start?

Dans66Stevens
    Sounds like the prop shaft is to short.

superdave013
    I have one question. How much gap is there between the prop and the strut?
    And yes, sounds like your boat has some set up issues.

GofastRacer
    When the shaft is all the way up, you should have about an inch from the back of the strut to the taper if not, the shaft is too short or the V-Drive was moved forward. That may be the reason for bad handling???....A safety collar on the shaft is about the cheapest part on the boat and it could save you from a world of hurt, PUT one on..My .02c..

Thunderbutt
    I was told you should have a small space between the output and the drive shaft to keep it from vibrating. You have to have safty collars to keep the shaft from sliding and it shouldn't tuch the shaft log as it will vibrate.

GofastRacer
    Thunder, you should not have a space between the shafts, they should butt together,that has nothing to do with vibrating, if there's a vibration, there's another problem?? If the collar touches the the log, it will wear log seal housing, I have about an 1/8 inch space between the collar and the log....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast