Thread: Hull advice

walken100
    I looking for a boat, more specifically a 20-24' daycruiser. So far I'm finding Hallets, Campbells and Howards in my price range (<$10k) that I like. As far as hulls go any recomendations?
    Things to look for? Things to avoid? Is one brand enough better than the others to be worth spending more money?
    Also, I know to check for hooking, wood rot and any any cracking that could be structural. Anything else I should look for?
    Thanks...

VDRIVERACING
    Insist on taking it for a spin before you buy, or even seriously consider buying. Make sure the power, turning, and ride is what you had in mind. For example, I test drove a Howard 21' a few years back and it looked like a pretty good package, however it turned like the Queen Mary.
    Have the engine and drive device thoroughly tested by a marine engine professional. Trailer prices have soared in the past few years, so don't settle for a rust bucket with bad brakes; it will cost thousands to bring up to snuff.
    Finally, have a fiberglass pro/boat builder crawl underneath and check the bottom. They can tell what's important. A few years back I was considering buy a Spectra, and it was a beauty. The owner had rebuilt the motor and outdrive, repainted the boat and trailer, killer stereo, etc. I took it to a local boat shop and they pointed out a hull crack that would have cost thousands to repair. Now, the seller did not even know about it. The guys at the shop said his face turned white when they pointed it out to him. So it may not be a matter of someone trying to cheat you, but the pros know where to look for problems and what those problems cost to fix.

walken100
    Thanks, good thoughts. One of the boats I'm considering has a shity trailer. Now I need to find a few folks that can inspect hulls..

I just did alot of research on a day cruiser for me. I looked at many . I spoke with GENE the owner of HOWARD boats since 1973. he told me the howard river cruiser mold he bought from SPECTRA. Its the spectra 20 mold they were also made for Tarva and Cambell . The molds were sold and some ended up in L.A ca. where they are being re-made by Genesis boats. I do not know the quality but photos are impressive and they seem to know what they are talking about and not trying to sell you somethng. I bought a SANGER because I dig them but if you can pull the coin out and want a AWSOME fast and safe boat buy a SHIADA. In fact there is a guy with a 19ft twin turbo for sale on here its premo I saw it being put together at a very well known and respected shop.. just my 2 cents

BobbyB
    There is a nice 22' Schiada for sale in the trader. I think VDR said it all; whatever you get, get it inspected, and take it for a cruise. We really enjoy our Spectra 20, so I would recommend them. I just took it in to get some work done and the interior done. The guy at the shop got a good look at the inside of the hull and told me that it's in great shape. Mine's a '77; I have heard that the earlier Spectras are built even better. I am sure there are other nice cruisers out there, but I am happy with ours.

VDRIVERACING
    Schiadas are nice boats, but way more than you specified in your post ($30K-$40K) and up.
    You can find a Howard, Spectra, etc in your price range. It won't be a perfect show piece, but could be a reliable decent looking boat.

BobbyB
    Schiadas are nice boats, but way more than you specified in your post ($30K-$40K) and up.
    You can find a Howard, Spectra, etc in your price range. It won't be a perfect show piece, but could be a reliable decent looking boat.
    good point, I overlooked the price range there. I saw a Howard V-drive for $6500 on craigslist. Check it out.

walken100
    Forgot about craigslist. Thanks.
    But the real question is what should I be picky about? Is one hull enough better than another, is there makers I should avoid, powerglide vs velvettouch etc....