Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocker arm studs are short.

f_inscreenname
    Went to install my new roller rockers today. Got everything broken down and the valve covers off. Got the motor in the #1 F/P. Pull the old rockers off and put the new ones on. I thought right away that the studs were not long enough. So I twisted on a poly lock until it seated and there was 0 lash. Then counted the turns it took before it came back off. It was 1 and a ¼ turns and I could lift the lock off the stud. If you add in the ½ turn to adjust for lash that means the Poly lock will only have a turn and ¾ to hold the rocker on. That don’t seem right. Do I need longer studs or shim the studs out from the head with washers or something?
    http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4521/66yt5.jpg

steelcomp
    Went to install my new roller rockers today. Got everything broken down and the valve covers off. Got the motor in the #1 F/P. Pull the old rockers off and put the new ones on. I thought right away that the studs were not long enough. So I twisted on a poly lock until it seated and there was 0 lash. Then counted the turns it took before it came back off. It was 1 and a ¼ turns and I could lift the lock off the stud. If you add in the ½ turn to adjust for lash that means the Poly lock will only have a turn and ¾ to hold the rocker on. That don’t seem right. Do I need longer studs or shim the studs out from the head with washers or something?
    http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4521/66yt5.jpgLooks like the trunion could be upside down.

GofastRacer
    I'll second that!..

vee-driven
    buy longer studs!!

f_inscreenname
    I'll second that!..
    No they are right side up. The other side does not have a seat for the poly lock.
    So… I went out after the post and pulled a stud from the head and got out my caliper to see what is going on. From what I got from it was…….
    1.750 - the stud is now from where it seats on the head
    1.00 - is how long the poly lock is
    .284 - is how far the stud will go inside the poly lock now at zero valve lash
    .081 - is how much deeper the stud should go inside the poly lock when it is giving the half turn after zero
    .426 - is how big the stop nut inside the poly lock is
    .791 - is where the top of the stop nut inside the poly lock should be now fully installed
    Now if I use 1.90 studs the stud should go .150 further inside the poly lock. Adding that to the .791from above the top of the stop nut inside the poly lock should come up to .941 of the 1.00 lock or .059 from the top.
    Does that sound right?

maddad
    You should think about spot facing the studs so the lock seats evenly.

f_inscreenname
    You should think about spot facing the studs so the lock seats evenly.
    Thanks, I read all about that in another H/B thread and will definitely do.

Moneypitt
    Yes, longer studs, AND a GIRDLE.......The posi locks are un necesary when using a girdle, so the longer studs don't need to be faced........MP

GofastRacer
    No they are right side up. The other side does not have a seat for the poly lock.
    SoÂ… I went out after the post and pulled a stud from the head and got out my caliper to see what is going on. From what I got from it wasÂ…Â….
    1.750 - the stud is now from where it seats on the head
    1.00 - is how long the poly lock is
    .284 - is how far the stud will go inside the poly lock now at zero valve lash
    .081 - is how much deeper the stud should go inside the poly lock when it is giving the half turn after zero
    .426 - is how big the stop nut inside the poly lock is
    .791 - is where the top of the stop nut inside the poly lock should be now fully installed
    Now if I use 1.90 studs the stud should go .150 further inside the poly lock. Adding that to the .791from above the top of the stop nut inside the poly lock should come up to .941 of the 1.00 lock or .059 from the top.
    Does that sound right?
    Hmmm, from the pic it sure looks upside down, but if it's right then a longer stud is needed, and I gotta go along with MP, use a stud girdle!..

vee-driven
    they are right side up, thats the groove the poly lock will seat into, others are flat on top, and they are round on the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast