Thread: Anyone know about the Mercruiser 383 ??

finsfan4life
    Anyone know anything about this motor, Mercruiser is calling it a refurbished motor, but it's considered brand new with a two year warranty...has 350 HP..???

beaverretriever
    It is a factory rebuilt 6.2. It is not a new engine and that is how they keep the cost down.

sdpm
    Great engine at a great price. I have installed a few of these and have had zero problems and the performance gaines from the customers prior engine are awsome. Can't beat it. They are just tough to get. They go fast when they have them.

spectras only
    Great engine .My buddy put one in his 22 Pachanga when merc first relased them .
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/383_Magnum.htm

zudnic
    GM performance parts has a pretty good deal on a new ZZ383/425 should be fairly easy to marine it. I'm looking at getting another jet, for my Dad and little brother's use. If I keep mine to keep up with the second, thinking of dropping one of these in mine this winter....... My only question would be how much more is this brand new crate over the rebuilt Mercruiser. If not much more money for me its worth having new and more HP......
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12498772

finsfan4life
    It is a factory rebuilt 6.2. It is not a new engine and that is how they keep the cost down.
    I was told even though the are considered to be remanufactured, they were never actually used. I was told there were 377's and had an inspection problem and could not be sold again as a 377. So mercury pumped up to a 383to resale them....any truth to this story...?????

brianthomas
    I had twin 6.2s in my last boat. They were stroked 350s. Same 4 inch bore but with a 3.75 inch stroke rather than the standard 3.48 inches. The 383 is the same stroke as the 6.2/377 but bored. They both use a Lunati rotating assembly and are the only engines in the small block line that are hand assembled by Mercruiser. Strong motors but have some wierd oil pressure. They run standard pressures at cruising rpms but will idle hot at around 6 psi. I was warned about this before I ordered the engines. Not sure why they do this.

spectras only
    They run standard pressures at cruising rpms but will idle hot at around 6 psi. I was warned about this before I ordered the engines. Not sure why they do this.
    My oil pressure is 40 , and 20 at hot idle on both engines :idea: .

work2play
    I have one in my 23 dana and really love the engine. We wakeboard, ski, and cruise and it doesn't burn fuel.