Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hull identification

olbiezer
    this was my 76 haskell they look alot alike to me
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...t_with_ski.jpg

Cole1313
    you didn't read it wrong. i just didn't explain very well. hull id number from title decodes as apache. i can not find the number physically on the hull
    That is really weird. There are no other tags on the boat? Under the deck? On a stringer?

wright27
    UHHHH Hot boat,Fake paper work.

mrossum
    That is really weird. There are no other tags on the boat? Under the deck? On a stringer?
    have not been able to locate any other numbers. i did look a little closer, and have determined that boat has been repainted. looks like they sprayed over the existing gel with new gel. wierd.

mrossum
    UHHHH Hot boat,Fake paper work.
    my first thought!!!
    dmv did register it, though. maybe just a fluke

Cole1313
    have not been able to locate any other numbers. i did look a little closer, and have determined that boat has been repainted. looks like they sprayed over the existing gel with new gel. wierd.
    Well if you are really curious I would find some way to scrape the new gel off. I am sure some of the older guys on the board would know how to find it.

dmv did register it, though. maybe just a fluke
    The dmv will regester anything, so don't put much stock in that.
    Back in the 70's when we were at Hawaiian, there was a rigger there that, as a side line, stole boats and re-sold them. The changing of the numbers on the transom is the easiest thing in the world to do. He and his partner would steal a boat, order a new trailer for it. Go down to the Golden Shores launch ramp at night and launch the boat with the original trailer lashed to it. Cruise out by the Queen Mary and cut the trailer loose. Take the boat back to the launch ramp and put it on the new legal trailer.
    Sometimes the builder would hide another number on the inside of a gunale or someplace like that incase the boat was stolen and the numbers on the transom were doctored up, but that took about 10 minutes for the guys stealing boats to get wise too.

With paint this may not work, but it's worth a try. Get the brightest light you can (a favorite-Harbor Freight 1 million candlepower- $9.95), and shine it from the inside of the hull at the upper right corner of the transom. Obviously helps if it's as dark as possible out. Sometimes you can see the old HIN that has been filled/gelled/painted over.
    If nothing else, you've spent $10 on a spotlight that comes in handy on those night floats.

Cole1313
    The dmv will regester anything, so don't put much stock in that.
    Back in the 70's when we were at Hawaiian, there was a rigger there that, as a side line, stole boats and re-sold them. The changing of the numbers on the transom is the easiest thing in the world to do. He and his partner would steal a boat, order a new trailer for it. Go down to the Golden Shores launch ramp at night and launch the boat with the original trailer lashed to it. Cruise out by the Queen Mary and cut the trailer loose. Take the boat back to the launch ramp and put it on the new legal trailer.
    Sometimes the builder would hide another number on the inside of a gunale or someplace like that incase the boat was stolen and the numbers on the transom were doctored up, but that took about 10 minutes for the guys stealing boats to get wise too.
    This is just wrong! But kind of a neat idea on the trailer dumping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12