Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: floor in my sanger

e514jet
    while cleaning my boat I found a soft spot with fiberglass separation in the aft portion of my floor. The floor was previously reworked and the guy had sprayed expanding foam underneath for extra support. What I found is that the foam soaks up water and water was being trapped underneath. I'm glad I caught it now. The center stringer is in good shape but aren 't stringers normally fiberglassed into the bottom? Just wondering about the gap between the stringer and the hull? Any recommendations when rebuilding my floor. Does anything go underneather the plywood? The floor was a double layer.
    it had plywood screwed on the bottom side for extra support. here are some pics and I sure would appreciate any advice other guys have on this matter..
    thanks

73kona455
    i dont think thats actually a stringer.. looks more like a support for the floor

b's sanger
    I had to re-do my floor as well. From the factory there was nothing but foam under that floor and the original strength of the boat was the floor glassed to the hull. Once we removed the foam, there was nothing to support the floor anymore. My hull is a touch deeper than yours, so we used a 2x6 keel from the front bulkhead to the engine bulkhead. We glassed the entire thing to the floor and around the keel. Then take your hardwood plywood cut to match the hull and screw the floor into the keel. Then reglass the floor's edges to the hull and at least a light sheet of fibergalss across the whole floor. Roll some heavy fiberglass up onto the bulkheads as well. My hull is much stronger now with no issues. Don't put that foam back in there, just a waist of time and it may bow the floor outward. Definately check that keel for rout and glass that whole thing in.
    B

e514jet
    Kona,
    yes it was just a piece of wood to support the floor. I took it out.
    BSanger,
    I found after pulling more of the floor out that there was not other support.
    I thought of adding either longitudial stringers like the one in the middle a little further out or glassing in some horizontal stringers for floor support. E

b's sanger
    If you want it to be strongest, extend both stringers to the front bulkhead, then install the floor between the stringers. It will be alot more work. But I have had no regrets installing a keel down the middle. It's super strong and would likely do you just fine. I would use pressure treated studs though.

e514jet
    Bsanger,
    I have the motor box squared in and no stringers at all. So I have to add them. You were saying you just ran the single in the middle. What thickness
    of plywood did you use. I'm thinking 1/2 inch.

b's sanger
    I ran a 2x6 down the middle. It ended up being exactly where my floor was level. My older hull is a bit deeper than yours. I would get some good plywood and cut your floor to fit snug. Bevel underneath the sides so the floor will sit somewhat flush with the hull. Then when you are happy with the floor's fit, experiment with a 2x4 keel and see if it allows your floor to be level. Worst case scenario you may have to cut lengthwise if the 2x4 is too much. Same with a 2x6 if its not enough. But i'm, guessing the 2x4 may just be the ticket.

e514jet
    thanks b for the info....E

b's sanger
    No problem, let me know if you get stuck. All in all it was a fairly easy install. Glass work needless to say takes some time.

BrendellaJet
    If one was going to go therough the trouble of glassing in 2 new stringers with the motor box in place, why not just tear the motor box out and do full stringers? Would be more work but the end result would probably be stronger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast