Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter the air or not?

Danhercules
    I see lots of boats with no air filter. I did not run one on my 18 Southwind. I am gettin close to droppin my new motor in my boat. I am spending $XXXXX on my new motor, why not protect it for a few bucks?
    My motor is also under a cover. Spark arresters dont flow enough air. (I dont think they do). Is a K&N a approved spark arrestor?
    What do you all think?

dmontzsta
    I would try and get a filter like Hack Job's, those look pretty much like a car air filter and would give you the best protection and that BBF should suck right through the filter.
    Or just run dual velocity stacks like I am going to do.

FOURQ
    I think not.. on my new Mill I run the carbs open no flame arestors or filters...

Sleeper CP
    Dan.....,
    You should certainly run something to keep unwanted small items out of your engine. If you check out the Rex Marine web site that you can link from Hot Boat home page both Gaffrig and Barbron make some very high flow Flame Arrestors, I'm sure they'll flow more than enough for your new Blue Oval Power. My brother and I use the Stainless Gaffrig on a 1050 Dominator and it flows enough air to feed the 565 cu. in. Ford. If you are running a engine cover you are going to need an arrestor anyway. For your saftey spend the money and get a good unit from Rex Marine. If you want to filter the air you can try running a K&N filter with or with out the oil, but the high end flame arrestors will out flow the K&N.
    Sleeper CP

hack job
    Dan.....,
    You should certainly run something to keep unwanted small items out of your engine. If you check out the Rex Marine web site that you can link from Hot Boat home page both Gaffrig and Barbron make some very high flow Flame Arrestors, I'm sure they'll flow more than enough for your new Blue Oval Power. My brother and I use the Stainless Gaffrig on a 1050 Dominator and it flows enough air to feed the 565 cu. in. Ford. If you are running a engine cover you are going to need an arrestor anyway. For your saftey spend the money and get a good unit from Rex Marine. If you want to filter the air you can try running a K&N filter with or with out the oil, but the high end flame arrestors will out flow the K&N.
    Sleeper CP
    funny thing is that my K&N are flame arrestors( the carry the USCG #) and the helped get more power out of my motor. when we dynoed my motor we picked up a hp or two when i put my K&N s on there. i have the dyno runs to prove it. and the no oil thing i have never tryed . but the oil has never hurt me.
    so i say K&N .

superdave013
    you have to run some type of approved spark arrestor.
    You have no choice with the covered engine. You should also be using a marine starter and alt.
    I wouldn't skimp on that. Seen to many boats burn right to the waterline then sink.

bp
    got my first uscg k&n 15-16 years ago. still use 'em..

IMPATIENT 1
    i run mine open with a screen in the inlet of the scoop to keep out the critters

Sleeper CP
    funny thing is that my K&N are flame arrestors( the carry the USCG #) and the helped get more power out of my motor. when we dynoed my motor we picked up a hp or two when i put my K&N s on there. i have the dyno runs to prove it. and the no oil thing i have never tryed . but the oil has never hurt me.
    so i say K&N .
    Hack Job,
    You didn't state rather or not you ran the K&N on the dyno against a high end arrestor or not. I'm assuming you ran the K&N against an open carb on the dyno. The K&N and Cool Blue filters will typically produce more power than an open carb because they act as an air straightner and reduce the turbulence in the air before it enters the carb for a smoother flow. There are alot of hot boaters out there that think their open carb scoop combo is the way to go on the river, useally it's not. They think they are getting a ram effect at speed,but with all of the turbulence it cancels out. Put an arrestor in or a K&N and it will help the air enter the carb for more power.
    Either way he needs to run something. I guess it's down to how much clearance he has under the engine cover?
    Sleeper CP

zudnic
    Seen to many boats burn right to the waterline then sink.
    My friend burned his Bayliner to the waterline and then it sank. I was on it when it happened. We where 14/15 at the time and he just filled the tank and argued why turning bilge blower on was not neccessary or at least lifting the engine cover. No flame arrester also, cause engine made more power that way, so he thought..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast