Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier current draw

bocco
    Does the current draw for amplifiers increase with volume or remain constant. Trying to figure out how quickly some amps can kill a battery.
    Thanks
    Gary

thmper321
    An amplifiers current draw will increase as the volume on the radio is increased. Some amps draw more than others and keep in mind a class D amp draws just as much current as a class AB at the amps full output with the same rated power. Most amps are pretty close to eachother as far as current draw versus power. Alipne PDX Amps are more efficient and Rockford amps tend to be the least efficient.

Just Be
    If you like the sub. Keep the amp down unless you want to kill the battery. The low end will draw more current than the high or mid frequencys. It take's more current to move the sub low frequency's.

thmper321
    All good points except comparing current draw of class d and class a/b amps. Class D amps are typically 80-85% efficient, while Class A/B amps are 50-60% efficient. It's just simple math. Two amps producing the same power at greatly different efficiencies will draw substantially different amounts of current to make that output. It's not voodoo people, it's math.
    It is math but for some reason the Rockford Fosgate 3000 Watt Power amplifier requires 400 amps of current to produce that 3000 watts. That is not 85% efficient. By the way the fuse in that amp is rated at 250 amps. That means anybody who purchased this amps is not going to see 3000 watts. I have seen other 3000 watt amplifiers pull 290 amps of current to create their specified power. All Class D amps. Class D amps are more efficient than A/B amps at lower volume levels but at full volume there is not much difference other than Impedance capabilities and the shape of the wave on the output. Class D amps have a square wave type of output rather than a sine wave or rounded wave. This is why Class D amps also abuse woofers more than an A/B. The woofer is witness to what looks somewhat like a clipped signal. I have seen the tests on the Alpine PDX Amps and they are 85% effecient but if you run a pure sine wave through them and push them the power supply will give up. Not too many people will be running pure sine wave through PDX amps in a real word environment. Amps do not relay completely on the output stage for efficiency. The power supplies also play a part. SWB, do you have any theories to this? I would love to see tests on all the amps in the industry to truely see how efficient they all are.

rivercrazy
    Class D amps are chitty by nature, that's why they destroy subs. Plus, people play them into clipping.
    Huh? A class A/B amp is much more likely to clip than a class D amp.

thmper321
    Class D amps are chitty by nature, that's why they destroy subs. Plus, people play them into clipping.
    Every test I have ever seen shows that Class D amps make more power with the same input current. It only makes sense, they're not running full range and making power above 1000 hz is much harder than making power below it.
    Don't forget that making power below 30Hz is very hard to do as well. Class D amps make more power because they can run down to 1 ohm. Class A/B amps typically are stable at a 4 ohm mono load. This is where the mathmatics come into play. We can't cheat Ohm's Law.
    Alpine actually didn't figure out how to make digital work at full range. They licenced the technology from another manufacturer. It works better than the Tripath chit they used when I worked there.

thmper321
    No, Class D amps make more power because they're more efficient, because they're only producing output through a very narrow frequency range. It's time to go back to amp school.
    Actually Class D amps have more efficient output stages than A/B amps put the power supplys are the same running at 65% efficiency so the overall efficiency is not that different at full output. We have always been told that Class D is 85 to 90% efficient but I have never seen a Class D amp play in that range especially at full output simply because of the power supply that provides the voltage to the rails. I have seen it first hand on an Audio Precision test machine.
    Class D amps are more efficient because they convert an analog signal into pulses. These pulses then go through "chokes" to help round off the wave before going to the speaker. The reason why Class D amps only play at low frequencies is because they are terribly noisy. So yes the output section is more efficient but not the amp as a whole unit. Try it on your Audio Precision and see for yourself...
    And as far as school is concerned, I have been thinking about going back to get my Masters in Electronics Engineering.

Beer-30
    To get back to your question - YES the more throttle, the more juice. The more juice needed, the sooner your battery(ies) will fail.
    No matter how big you go, please put an isolator on the starter battery.

HitIt
    Class D amps are more efficient because they convert an analog signal into pulses.
    To go down to the next level...
    After the the analog signal is converted into a series of pulses, these operate the output transistors in either an "on" mode or an "off" mode. Transistors that are very effiecent when all the way on or all the way off are used in class D amps. When transistors are operated somewhere in between on and off, they are not efficient and end up generating a lot of heat. This is what is done is class A/B amps. They do sound cleaner because they can provide a better electrical representation of what the speaker is supposed to do to make sound than the bang on-bang off control the class D's provide.
    The reason they are used with subs is that the electrical and mechanical characteristics of the speaker will filter the pulse train from the class D amps.

HitIt
    No, Class D amps make more power because they're more efficient, because they're only producing output through a very narrow frequency range. It's time to go back to amp school.
    Class D amps are being used on MANY portable devices now. Cell phones, mp3 players, etc. They dont play a narrow frequency range. See my post above for why they are more efficient.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast