Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Scoops On Backwards?

W.O.T
    Just curious why some people run their carb air scoops backwards? ive heard a few different reasons but im still curious. Thanks Guys.

wouldn't doubt if it's just for looks....

HokeySon
    illegal to run them forwards. supposedly in case of a backfire, don't want it directed towards the passenger area.

jag2
    I just assumed mine was done that way by the factory to keep out waterspray.

coopers396
    I dont know if its illegal but its turned around so that if the motor backfires its not shot directly at the passengers

It's Coast Guard mandated that they're installed with the opening facing the back of the boat.
    I point it backwards because of everyone else's reply...

wsuwrhr
    Mine have always faced forward, illegal or not.
    My thought is rear facing scoop will allow the scoop to become a venturi of sorts and suck the reversion fuel right out of the carb venturies and onto the atmosphere.
    I pitted eons ago for a real LS6(?) (the 454 model) Chevelle. We picked up a couple tenths by switching to covered carbs, you could see fuel marks at the end of a run on the windshield and roof.
    I loved that car. Heavy ass pig flew.
    "With enough horsepower you could make a brick fly"
    Brian

Beautiful Noise
    You can run the Scoop forward as long as you are Running Flame Arrestors encase of backfire

You can run the Scoop forward as long as you are Running Flame Arrestors encase of backfire
    Thats what I've been told.

Sleeper CP
    It's Coast Guard mandated that they're installed with the opening facing the back of the boat.
    I point it backwards because of everyone else's reply...
    I believe the rule is: if the Carb(s) is less than 18" above the top of the engine compartment the scoop is to be run backwards in case of backfire. If the carb is 18" above the engine compartment it is assumed the fumes will not egnite by a backfire. In any case if you have a covered engine you must run an arrestor. If you are running a Tunnel ram or a really high intake and the carbs are more than 18" above the top of the engine compartment you don't have to run anything; you should but you don't have to.
    Also, some engines will actually run better with the scoop run backwards. An old friend had a 750 HP 468 with a tunnel ram it had a roller cam and 12:1 comp. it made alot of noise in front of the engine and behind. On one trip to the river his wife asked him if the boat would be quieter if he turned the scoop around(reducing intake noise) he said :OK, his boat picked up 300 rpm's and he reduced a bunch of noise coming from the intake.He ran it that way for the next 6 years.
    Try it both ways you might be surprised.
    Sleeper CP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast