Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what guage are you guys running?

I bought 14 gauge for my oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature sending units. I bought 12 gauge for the +/- to my gauges from the dist block. 12 Gauge to my 2x1000GPH bilge pumps (4.5 amps each) from dist block. Now I'm thinking 8 gauge to the dist block for pos/Neg.. What are you guys running?

I think you're using slightly larger wire than you need to and that's exactly how you should do it.

12G wire should handle 9.3 amps, both my bilges will be cutting that line pretty close. 14G is rated at 5.9AMP, so the senders i wouldn't think would come any where near that... autometer doesn't tell you what gauge wire to use for the sender or the +/-.. It does however say to use a 1amp fuse so I'm sure i could use up to 21G (rated 1.2amp) if i wanted too. Looking at it now, if both bilges are running, all gauges + gauge lights, i would be drawing 14 amps.. If thats the case i could get away with 10G but i think i'll just stick to going with the 8G.

16ga on the gauges is sufficient. 14ga on the bilge pumps is more than sufficient (but what I run also), and the gauge of your feeds depends upon the total sytem requirements (gauges, pumps, STEREO, AMPS, etc) and how the loom is wrapped and routed. If a loom is wrapped and/or enclosed, the current carrying capacity is lower, so a larger wire is recommended.

superdave013
    where are you getting these rating from? 12awg is used in 20A and 14awg is used in 15A all the time. And that's derated for more then 3 conductors in the raceway. You will be more then fine with what you have now.
    Look at NEC table 310-16. If you use the collum for 90*C (you won't be boating in that hot of weather) it shows 14awg @ 25A and 12awg @ 30A.
    Be sure to read the first footnote. I'll sum it up for you. You'll need over current protection of 15A for the 14awg and 20A for the 12awg.

BrendellaJet
    Question: on the ground wire from the dash-Im running 14 gauge wire. No accessories other than gauges. From the block/battery ground to the terminal block should i be running 10, 12 or 14, does it matter?

DelawareDave
    I have 16 ga for all the senders to gauges. 14 gauge from ign switch to motor. 10 ga from bat to hot side of ign switch and 14 ga to gauges +. 14 ga to gauges - bus, then 10 ga back to ground at engine. 3 separate grounds on engine- distributor, bilge pump, and fuel pump. 10 ga from aux solenoid to starter solenoid. 10 ga from alternator to battery.

where are you getting these rating from?
    Your right, i was thinking the chart looked weird i was looking at because i use 12 gauge all the time for 110v@30amp... I figured maybe it was different because it was DC and not AC... I think the chart i was looking at though was showing the current rating at 1000ft length... maybe not.
    I dont plan on running a stereo, amps, strobe light, lasor effects show, or any of that other crap.. but i think i'm still going to over kill it a bit. I already bought most of my wire, just need to get my main feeds, think i'll try to go with a 10G if they have it.

superdave013
    Your right, i was thinking the chart looked weird i was looking at because i use 12 gauge all the time for 110v@30amp... I figured maybe it was different because it was DC and not AC... I think the chart i was looking at though was showing the current rating at 1000ft length... maybe not.
    I dont plan on running a stereo, amps, strobe light, lasor effects show, or any of that other crap.. but i think i'm still going to over kill it a bit. I already bought most of my wire, just need to get my main feeds, think i'll try to go with a 10G if they have it.
    12awg for 30 amps?? :jawdrop:
    BJ, keep in mind that the sum of all the loads will go through that ground wire. It will be fine I'm sure for the gauges but I'd up it anyway. Who knows what you might want to add later.

Bahner tunnel
    I ran paired ( + and -) 8 up to a 6 outlet fuse box. Mainly because of my stereo amp. 8 to the amp. 12 for the MSD box and ignition button (starter trigger) and 14 for all of the gauges and bildge pumps. Seems good to go so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast