Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When I get bored I tinker (455 intake question too)

TahitiTiger
    Ok so the boat has been running to good so I had to mess with it. I have since reinstalled my saddle tanks, new senders, new fuel gage, new fuel hose, new Holley Red fuel pump, and a nice new water seperator. I have also been replacing hardware with stainless allen head bolts (adds hp ). I am reinstalling my new carpet after a harsh lesson with carpet glue, tonight.
    I am squirelling away parts for winter time project when the motor comes out. And I am looking to maybe upgrade my intake manifold. I am running a 40 over bore, on a bbp block. I have another set of heads that I plan on gasket matching. I currently have an Edelbrock Torquer intake, I have been looking at some Offy intakes, the Port O Sonic, and the single carb tunnel ram. Seeing as this boat is just for pleasure, spends alot of time at 2-3.5k rpms. Is the Torquer the best choice for my 455? or should I change out this winter?
    Thanks
    BTW here was my latest brain storm shot gun shell alt spacer.
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...slvr/STUFF.jpg

El Prosecutor
    Conventional wisdom has it that the Torker is better for higher RPM, the Performer is better for what you are doing. Timinator is on record saying that the O4B is the best for your ap if you can find one, and whatever you get to block the crossover.
    If and when I change my stock iron intake out on the Olds I will go with the O4B. There are a couple on fleabay right now, they are both painted though.

victorfb
    you might want to point that shotgun shell the other direction. if it goes off it will put a serious hurt on ya.

Taylorman
    My hypothesis based on the words of those who know is that the torker is the best for your rpm range which is up to 4500-5000. I run a Victor and love it but i was told the other day by an olds expert that im leaving hp on the table with the Victor vs the Torker. Oh well, the Victor looks cooler. Stay away from the single carb tunnel ram or the dual tunnel ram. My single carb victor runs much better than my tunnel ram did.

DelawareDave
    I'm running a Torker, mild cam, G heads, OT headers with mufflers, and a Rochester Quadra-Jet! I have absolutely no complaints about performance.

R.A.D.man
    I run a Victor and love it but i was told the other day by an olds expert that im leaving hp on the table with the Victor vs the Torker.
    Did he give a reason, was it that the engine rpms are too low to take advantage of the Victor?

TIMINATOR
    STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! Professional Products has made their version of an RPM Performer airgap for the 455 OLDS!! It is in the catalogue, has a part#, but has not gotten farther than a preproduction model. They are sending me one to evaluate when ready. Should be 5-7 weeks or so. Keep the faith! If you find an O4B, we weld and repair them all the time, if you don't want to wait this is another option. TIMINATOR

TahitiTiger
    I found the O4B on fleabay, and am watching it. So far they claim it has been welded.
    My Torquer is plugged already. I had a perferormer, and discovered it was cracked, I smacked it with sledge hammer and turned it in for beer money. (it was free on the wrecking yard motor).
    I was looking at the Offys for Power, and cool factor. We used to run Offy stuff on the race cars, in the vintage circuit they were a force to be reconded with. Just like Isky Cams, you rarely hear of them any more, yet this Olds 455 is the first performance motor I have not installed an Iskenderian.

pw_Tony
    An RPM performer air gab would be sweet for an olds!
    After goin to the dyno a few times the RPM air gap seems to be the best all around intake. After I took my Torker off my 460 I was grossed out how small the intake runners were. I was in a rush and bought what they had on the shelf, a performer. An RPM air gap would look sweet as well as perform like one of the best. Good luck searchin...

TahitiTiger
    STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! Professional Products has made their version of an RPM Performer airgap for the 455 OLDS!! It is in the catalogue, has a part#, but has not gotten farther than a preproduction model. They are sending me one to evaluate when ready. Should be 5-7 weeks or so. Keep the faith! If you find an O4B, we weld and repair them all the time, if you don't want to wait this is another option. TIMINATOR
    that is a sexy intake manifold
    http://www.professional-products.com...roductOlds.php
    btw what RPM range would this be for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast