Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: quistion about a hull

jet guy
    I was hoping to 60 or 70 is this to much to ask of this hull and will it saftly do it

Anytime you push this bottom 70 and above you're going to have your hands full when you let off the gas. Like jr131 was telling you, the deep entry on the bottom of this hull will want to bow steer when it re-enters the water at speed. The boat will make a violent turn, maybe, to the right or the left, or spin out out all together.
    But as a family cruiser running up to 65 or 70, it'll be great.
    This boat below, the shorter 16' Tahiti bottom, yours is a foot and a half longer but the same, was at the time the worlds fastest jet, but no one would race him because at the end of the 1/4 mile the boat would change lanes at will. We've come a long way in the last 40 years and the Tahiti with that bottom can be made to handle a little better, but what's the point? It is what it is an should be treated as such. You want to go faster, there's a world of better hulls out there to do it in.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...larktahiti.jpg

ck7684
    Looks like a great boat to me...remember that fast is all relative here! I would see how it drives now and gradually increase things, especially if it is basically just for your driving pleasure. My 16ft Cobrajet does 70mph (GPS'd) and I have no problems whatsoever with hooking or such. I am building a fairly stout 468 (approx 540hp) for it now and I am not too worried about having too much power, but I'm also not looking for any more top speed either.
    Just depends on what your future plans are...I would say enjoy it!!

jetboat
    keep it simple!i have two boats avenger and taylor.the avenger is a lake only boat and runs everyday at 53+mph,has a medium built 466 ford,its est.at around 480 hp+_and will probley run mid 70"s.dont belive everyone 80mph!the avarage is problety mid 60"s.enjoy what you have with your hull type.if speed is your thing,go to a tx-19 type hull and spend$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.to go fast.reach your lmit and have fun.

jet guy
    thanks for the info im still learning about these and like to hear everone 2 cents

n8dawg
    How does the boat handle right now at speed?

jet guy
    Iv only had it 3 times problem with regestration and the boat has a bad electrical system so Iv hade to do alot of work but I had it out last weekend got the reg. done finlly but it ran great handled great the water was a little choppy but it handled great and had allot of fun I dont have gps yet the old speedo said 40 to 45 mph but dont know how close it is but in the chop and full throttle it was fine and slowing down gave no problem but it was not close to as fast as Id like to go but mainly I would just cruse around ski or pull a tube but sometimes would run flat out :devil:

ck7684
    I dont run mine when it very choppy at all...it'll put the bow right under some waves, or even my own wake if I slow down then turn around 180*
    Anyways, my speedo will only read up to about 60, and there is major lag time before the speedo catches up with my actual speed. I think a GPS is about the only decent way to know for sure...
    How long is that boat anyways??

n8dawg
    If I were you I would go ahead and put the 454 or 502 in, hang onto the olds. That way if your un happy with the attitude of the boat at speed, you can through the olds back in and sell it keeping the chevy for whatever you end up getting next.
    I've come to find that there's alot of trial and error with finding the right set up. Just keep pluggin away at it.
    Good luck.
    Nate

jet guy
    18 ft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast