Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fine tuning a motor

sangerflatty
    got my flatty back from storage in nor cal and brought it down here to san diego.dropped the motor in sat night adjusted the valves,installed the mag,and put two new 750 holleys right out of the box on with my regulater. fired it up last night to break in cam and check for leaks, I am running a chevy 427 .030 over with 14.1 compression and a cross ram manilfold, (will post pics later today) the left bank seemed really lean as the header was glowing and the exhaust was alot hotter then the right side, the right side was just normal I think. my question is what is a good starting point with adjustments to carbs, as well what is a good timing point with race gas. the motor is fresh and need some help getting it right so I dont screw anything up, If anyone knows of someone down here in this area of san diego that is reputable please let me know, thank you, I just want it right

Rattle Can Lou
    I'm not the guy to listen to but I will tell you that I have never had any luck with a cross ram intake. If I remember right they need a special grind camshaft and several other little oddities to make them work. Something to do with vacuum and other weird dealios. My opinion is worth very little and I'm sure the experts will weigh in.

DansBlown73Nordic
    They look KOOL!!!!

Sangster
    Turn those carbs sideways & see what happens.....

HOWARD UFH
    are you sure it was the hole bank that was hot or just a couple of cylinders. I would recheck my valve adjustment.

coolchange
    Ya if that manifold is completly seperated left and right sides it won't run well except at WFO. The firing order throws wild vac. pulses at slow speeds. Especialy at those hi comp levels and probably long duration cam. If your set on runnin that manifold, my $Buck three eighty five says connect the 2 sides with a huge vac. line betwween them. I'm talkin like 1 1/2" or maybe 2 of them. Remember those Chrysler cross rams that went over the valve covers? They had that but most people thught they were water lines cause they were 1 1/2". Or maybe sell it for big bucks to a nostalgia guy.

sangerflatty
    the manifold stays, My grandpa built that boat and has now past away,so now it is being restored to how he had it for memory purposes,but any info on how I can make this set-up work will be much appreciated

Moneypitt
    The first thing I would do is switch the carbs and see if the hot pipes follow the carb. Second would be the valve adjustment. The only things that are seperate is the heads and carbs.........And yes, those intakes are cool...........MP

Wild and Out
    Just a question, how did you get the 14-1 compression? And it is cool to resto something from the past as a family heirlume however practicallity comes to mind as well as drivability and technology. Just my .o2

sangerflatty
    decided to pull the motor out and take it to a shop to be put on the dyno and adjusted that way,but thankyou to all for the help and suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast