Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Military reserves.....

badbrad
    friend of mine got out of active duty and after a year went to the reserves because she missed it. two weeks after signing the contract her unit got activated. you dont do it for the money because they dont pay you shit. they promise that you can go toschool while on active duty but that is just a sales technique. they got you by the balls and that is it!

76ANTHONY
    well when i went into the military the national gaurd and reserve peeps where laughed at and told it was cause they couldnt make it in the full time military, now i guess they are one and the same. they get free school, for their military job and they get benefits that are pretty good, but like windy said, pricless in what you learn and who you meet. some peeps join because defending our country is still important to them.

Flyinbowtie
    Not to jack the thread, but I think it is downright shameful that the enlisted ranks are paying federal income tax at all. Up to to E-5 anyway, these folks are usually young, and ain't makin' much, and are serving their country. I know that combat zone pay is tax free, but good god how much money can these people be putting into the coffers?
    Let'em keep it. All of it.
    When my son was on active duty, he paid to seed his G.I. bill which is a great program and one he is using, he had $ deducted for his meal ticket, and I believe $ deducted for his housing.
    Chris served 3 years active, and so he went into the inactive ready reserve for the remainder of his 8 yr. hitch. He was told that the Army would pull back all active reservists with his MOS before they reached out for him.
    I believe that there is at least a 50-50 chance that he'll get that call before the clock runs out. The world is just too dangerous a palce these days to make me believe otherwise.

Cole Trickle
    well when i went into the military the national gaurd and reserve peeps where laughed at and told it was cause they couldnt make it in the full time military, now i guess they are one and the same. they get free school, for their military job and they get benefits that are pretty good, but like windy said, pricless in what you learn and who you meet. some peeps join because defending our country is still important to them.
    What college did you graduate from and what famous peeps did you meet?

Havasu Luvr
    friend of mine got out of active duty and after a year went to the reserves because she missed it. two weeks after signing the contract her unit got activated. you dont do it for the money because they dont pay you shit. they promise that you can go toschool while on active duty but that is just a sales technique. they got you by the balls and that is it!
    Well, its been my experience that MOST young soldiers do not take advantage of the GI bill. They are usually straight out of Mama/Daddys house and on their own for the first time with money in their pocket to burn....NO time for education.....it's time to party ! ! ! !
    Sorry you had a negetive experience with the Armed Services. It is NOT for everyone but it does have alot to offer the individual who seeks more in life, the opportunaties are there, you just have to be displined (sp?) enough to take advantage of it

76ANTHONY
    fresno state and i was in germany when shaq was going to school there, oh yeah i got to hit john daily in the arm for telling a lie but that was after the military

76ANTHONY
    didnt see that, i never graduated, moved out to oc and worked at mcdonnell douglas, money was more important to me. stupid me

Havasu Luvr
    Not to jack the thread, but I think it is downright shameful that the enlisted ranks are paying federal income tax at all. Up to to E-5 anyway, these folks are usually young, and ain't makin' much, and are serving their country. I know that combat zone pay is tax free, but good god how much money can these people be putting into the coffers?
    Let'em keep it. All of it.
    When my son was on active duty, he paid to seed his G.I. bill which is a great program and one he is using, he had $ deducted for his meal ticket, and I believe $ deducted for his housing.
    Chris served 3 years active, and so he went into the inactive ready reserve for the remainder of his 8 yr. hitch. He was told that the Army would pull back all active reservists with his MOS before they reached out for him.
    I believe that there is at least a 50-50 chance that he'll get that call before the clock runs out. The world is just too dangerous a palce these days to make me believe otherwise.
    Your son should have beeen recieving BAS (Basic Allowance for Substance) and a portion of it should be deducted for DFAC and quarters. If he was living off base then he should have been recieving BAQ (Basic Allowance for Quarters) which non of it should have been deducted. I still think it is a great option for our young adults but like I said it is NOT for everyone... I have a neighbor boy who grew up with my sons....he ask me for some advise serveral years ago about the US ARMY. I gave it to him directly and he decided to give it a try. He made E-5 in 2yrs, learned a trade that otherwise it would have taken him several more years to accomplish, has a wonderful wife and sons, and has seen the world including Alaska, the PI (Phillippine Island) and Afhganistan and soon to be Iraq, made Soldier of the Month and nominated for Soldier of the Year, all this before the age of 21yr.......most kids are just getting promoted to shift leader @ MCDonalds

Havasu Luvr
    Yeah, but I believe shift leader includes two free meals per shift.
    LMAO ! !! you got me there.....

stonehedge
    Did 20 in the Marines. Part of it in the Active Reserves. Actually went more places and saw more action while in the Reserves. The Marine Reserves are very similiar to the Active folks, required to do the same in everything. Alot of good people are in our military, and this includes the Reservists.
    It takes alot of courage to serve our nation. And with whats going on presently, even more. I respect the hell out of all the folks who sacrafice for us.
    Good thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast