Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help with an olds 455 problem

dave7887
    im kind of new to boating. i just got my first boat, its a 1970 tahiti with an olds 455. we took it out this weekend to elsinore because the weater was bitchin. but anyways, the boat idles fine and puts around slow, but as soon as i punch it and get on the gas it just craps out and the motor dies. it will start right back up after that. any sugestions?? thanks guys

jetboat=$
    i had the same problem...i hate to tell you this but it sounds like a cracked block. what color is the oil?

Sounds like maybe a bad accellerater pump, or it's disconnected some how. Other things could be lack of fuel pressure, low floats in the carb, timing off.
    Just things to check.
    Sleek

Wet Dream
    Kinda harsh going for the cracked block theory right off the bat aren't you? How about fuel pressure, float levels, blocked filter, stuck secondaries, bad gas, squirters blocked off, bad fuel pump? Borrow a good carb and try that and go from there. Check the oil for oil, or is it looking like a milkshake?

76ANTHONY
    what carb you got on it? i have an extra carter you can borrow, its only a 550 but it moved my 455 pretty good...

jetboat=$
    not trying to hurt feelings here but that was my problem. thats why im not a mechanic, i always look for the worst possible and get pissed off about it.
    at what rpm does it cut out?

sleekvino
    i would bet that it is water in the gas, remove a fuel line and dump it in one of your wifes good glasses and see if water is at the bottom of it.if you have alot then just hit the carb wihle your looking down it and see if theres water drops in it.if there is ,get some water remover "nuheat"for the tank and get a fuel water separater.good luck.

Rocknpalms
    I had the same problem, fortunatly all I had to do was reem out the main jets a few sizes. Sounds like a lack of fuel. I would first make sure the ecelerator pump is working and that the ecelerator cam size is not too big or small (I have the white cam in mine), check the float level, install a fuel pressure gauge. If all that is fine make sure the secondaries operate correctly and then look into the main jets. Just my .02

Taylorman
    not trying to hurt feelings here but that was my problem. thats why im not a mechanic, i always look for the worst possible and get pissed off about it.
    at what rpm does it cut out?
    Good thing your not a mechanic the way you troubleshoot. I'd hate to see what you would have said if he had no oil pressure.

jetboat=$
    id tell him to smack the hell out of the gauge!!!! and after your hand hurts check the oil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast