Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drive swap

79schiada
    I was wondering if anyone on the boards has ever swapped their pre-alpha drive out to an alpha drive before. I didn't know if the transom assembly is similar, or if I need to do alot of patching and re-work. I'm only powering the drive with a 350, so I figured the alpha would be my best bet. Any advantage between the gen. 1 and gen. 2?
    thanks from a newbie!

Ryan00TJ
    The Alpha 1 will bolt right up with no modifications to any previous trasom assembly and bellhousing. The Gen 2 Alpha is not compatible with older TA's or the Alpha 1 setup. My boat originally came with a R drive setup. I blew it up with running nitrous and bought a new Alpha 1 in 92 to replace it. There is no modifications needed. Let me know if you have any questions I can help out.

79schiada
    Well that is some of the best news I've heard in awhile. Thanks for the heads-up and I might take you up on some advice when the swap gets closer.

deeee
    You might want to check out stern drive engineering they make a after market drive that replaces mercruiser alpha and there alot cheaper.

79schiada
    You might want to check out stern drive engineering they make a after market drive that replaces mercruiser alpha and there alot cheaper.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into their drive and maybe save a few $$

Big Block
    [QUOTE=Ryan00TJ;2620967]The Alpha 1 will bolt right up with no modifications to any previous trasom assembly and bellhousing.
    Do you mean "any previous Merc. assy"? How about others like Johnson OMC. For example, I have an old 69' Shell Lake run about that had a no good 307 V-8 mated to a johnson omc. I would like to toss in a 350 with an Alpha, but if I have to re-do the transom I'm not quite sure it's worth all that. Sorry for the hi-jack. I'll start a new thread if needed.
    Thanks, Greg

Bondo
    had a no good 307 V-8 mated to a johnson omc. I would like to toss in a 350 with an Alpha,
    Nope,....... It Don't work that way.........

79schiada
    Been searching around to see if I should go to a bravo instead. I've noticed from some other posts that the swap to a bravo is easy, so I am tempted to go that way. I think the boat is worth the investment, its the same as my forum name, a '79, 21' schiada. I was also wondering what others thought about the 383/bravo 1 drive combo that seems to be selling for around $12K. I don't want to part with that much dough, but was thinking it may be worth it because of what its going in and I would like the extra MPH. Anybody have any experience with the 383 set-up? THANKS!

BadKachina
    [QUOTE=Ryan00TJ;2620967]The Alpha 1 will bolt right up with no modifications to any previous trasom assembly and bellhousing.
    Do you mean "any previous Merc. assy"? How about others like Johnson OMC. For example, I have an old 69' Shell Lake run about that had a no good 307 V-8 mated to a johnson omc. I would like to toss in a 350 with an Alpha, but if I have to re-do the transom I'm not quite sure it's worth all that. Sorry for the hi-jack. I'll start a new thread if needed.
    Thanks, Greg
    Mercury makes an adapter plate to convert other drives to Mercruiser drives (alpha or bravo). Part # 827691A1

79schiada
    Been searching around to see if I should go to a bravo instead. I've noticed from some other posts that the swap to a bravo is easy, so I am tempted to go that way. I think the boat is worth the investment, its the same as my forum name, a '79, 21' schiada. I was also wondering what others thought about the 383/bravo 1 drive combo that seems to be selling for around $12K. I don't want to part with that much dough, but was thinking it may be worth it because of what its going in and I would like the extra MPH. Anybody have any experience with the 383 set-up? THANKS!
    Well, I decided to go with a bravo 1 to replace my old 260 drive. I'm still looking to pick up a transom assembly, and will eventually go with a reman 383. My big question I wanted to get resolution on early is what is the "X" dimension and should I be worried about it when replacing the 260 drive with the bravo? The boat in question is a 21' Schiada RC, and I don't know if I should just leave the transom location as is when swapping the assemblies.
    Thanks!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast