Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lower unit compatability question

hardlyworkin
    Is there a difference in lower units between mercury v6 outboards? 2.0 vs. 2.4 vs 2.5
    I have a 2.0 150hp with the stock lower unit and was thinking of upgrading to a low water pickup style lower. What are my options?
    Thanks

RitcheyRch
    I would like to add a nose cone with the low water pick-up on my Evinrude. Al Stoker told me would be difficult on my Lightning ET Gear Case.
    Who does the nose cones besides Bobs Machine?

Tom Brown
    Any Mercury V6 gear case will work on any V6 outboard. Even the earliest lower units with the preload pin will work on a 2.5.
    A nose cone, CLE, or Sportmaster will slow you down, though.

My 2.5 200 has a cle low water pick up. Its great for what I do.

Tom Brown
    Im curious as how that will be the case as I really want to put low water pick-up on my boat as I'm starting to run my motor up higher and I just want to eliminate the possibility of really hurting it.
    If you're jacking high, you need a LWP. That's why I went to a nose cone.
    If hardlyworkin is running his 150 burried, he's going to lose a few mph with a cone.
    By the way, I installed a Bob's cone myself and found it wasn't a big deal.
    http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/i...p?showtopic=49

hardlyworkin
    If you're jacking high, you need a LWP. That's why I went to a nose cone.
    If hardlyworkin is running his 150 burried, he's going to lose a few mph with a cone.
    http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/i...p?showtopic=49
    As of right now it is buried, however I am going to add a jack and want to add the LWP before I start jacking it.

Tom Brown
    As of right now it is buried, however I am going to add a jack and want to add the LWP before I jacking it.
    That's cool. If you're going to jack high, with the prop shaft close to the bottom of the boat, you need a LWP.
    If you don't want to jack that high, you can go pretty high by simply plugging the top two inlet holes on each side of the gear case with epoxy (JB Weld, or whatever).

hardlyworkin
    Thanks for that link TomBrown, that install looks doable.

Tom Brown
    I didn't mention, but maybe should, you need a water pressure gauge if you're going to jack. .... and, as far as I'm concerned, you also need one if you don't jack.

stoker2001
    http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/i...howtopic=49You must love doing bodywork and have all the specialty tools for the job.To do it right you need to tig or heli arc aluminum welder for tac welds,then it is real critical to get it square and vertical placement is important, then the mess of sanding a filling for endless hours to make it look good For $360 (includes parts and labor) plus shipping at BOBs Machine they come back looking factory trick with a two year warrantee for chipping and peeling.Trust me it is not even worth it for the typical Joe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast