Thread: gm 6.0 intake question

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I am going to buy an intake tomorrow for my denali. What is the difference between plastic and aluminum intakes? I have heard that the plastic ones make the exhaust a little deeper. I am looking for a little deeper exhaust with a little more hp. Anyone have any experience with different intakes for the 2001-up 6.0's?

Boa1277
    Try and figure out which one flows the best, also make sure whichever one you choose it has a heat shield.
    Good Luck

BowTie Rick
    Plastic is usually better. The reason is simple. Metal is pretty much the same diameter from filter to throttle body. Plastic allows for expansion and contraction of the tube diameter to speed up or slow down air flow at the MAS and reduce turbulence in curves thus resulting in a more consistant HP gain across a larger RPM band. Metal sometimes makes more peak HP but is at a tighter and higher RPM than plastic.

Cole Trickle
    Hard to bet the K&N FIPK for a great out of the box system.
    I would avoid a metal intake because of heat soak.(My opinion)
    On my last truck I made a intake out of 4"PVC with a K&N filter on the end.Only down side is to make the sweep off the TB I had to install electric fans on my 03 Silverado.(I was doing this anyways)

Some Kind Of Monster
    I don't know much about Denali intakes specifically, but I do have a K&N FIPK in my truck and it really wakes it up and sounds great too.
    On another note Michael,
    I'm going in to the machine shop Thursday so we can talk over what it going down on my motor. I'll give you a ring before I agree to anything!