Thread: Engine coupler

tbanzer
    Running a BBC with about 650hp to Bravo and it too out the engine to drive coupler. Is there a hi performance version or are they all the same? Where is a good place to purchase one?

BDMar
    All Merc couplers for 454, 502, 500, 525, etc use the same coupler and is more than enough for 650 HP. We use them with 1000 HP all the time with Bravo type applications.
    Your coupler failed due to some other factor than HP. Alignment, lack of regular maintenance (grease), etc. How old was it? How many hours?

tbanzer
    All Merc couplers for 454, 502, 500, 525, etc use the same coupler and is more than enough for 650 HP. We use them with 1000 HP all the time with Bravo type applications.
    Your coupler failed due to some other factor than HP. Alignment, lack of regular maintenance (grease), etc. How old was it? How many hours?
    The coupler had about 250hrs on it. I found out that there are several different couplers available. There is an aluminum spline and a steel spline and also a heavy duty steel spline that is about 1" longer to alow more spline contact between the drive input and the coupler. The shaft still had grease on it when I removed it. I will check alignment once I get it bACk together.

BDMar
    The couplers have changed materials throughout the years. The coupler I told you about is the only one used by Mercruiser in high perf applications and has steel splines. The extension you are talking about does not extend the splines, it is a sleeve that seals the additional o-rings on the later style yokes and has zert fittings for easier servicing.