Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: choosing a 540-598 engine questions

Jim W
    I have a Hallett flat bottom V-drive with a 396 BBC and runs about 85 MPH. I would like to get into the 110+ MPH area. After looking at adding power to my 396 I found this company WWW.ohiocrankshaft.com
    They have short blocks at what looks to be real good prices.
    I have 2 questions about these big inch engines.
    1--- If I did go with a big inch engine, am I ok with small heads (oval port, iron), new cam (solid) , Vic Jr intake and 850 Holley or Weiand tunnel ram (have one) with new carbs????
    As I can afford it I would be adding the correct power parts to fit the engines size. Not looking for a all out engine.
    2--- What would be a good choice?? Pro's and con's?
    555 cu in $4050
    588 cu in $3995
    509-540-555-565 cu in $3795
    572-598 cu in $4195
    620 cu in $4350
    I kind of like the 509 or 540 for $3795
    So I guess what I am asking is---- is it ok to buy a big incher and build tward the future???
    My thinking is to sell my good running 396 for something like $2-2500 and go big.
    Thanks all. Be good, Jim

Jim W
    Sorry bad link
    Try this
    WWW.ohiocrank.com

Sometimes bigger isn't better ... we were running a 468 (454 - .060 over) hurt it ... stepped back to a 440 (427 - .060 over) and it ran quicker.
    Your set up has a lot to do with it.
    I like the 396/427 ... great motor because the geometry is better due to the wrist pin sitting higher in the piston ... you'll get more RPM than a bigger motor ... the bigger motor should give you more touque though.
    I would look into a 4.5 bore, 3.766 crank (your 427/396 crank), 6.135 rod ... you end up with a 479" motor ... a high reving big bore motor ... great set up IMO ... and you can still use your heads & all ... cheaper build for you.

you can go to racingjunk.com and get a Merlin block for like $2200 and an eagle crank for like $800 ... rods here at Neil's spam ... http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...highlight=sdpm
    for $200 ... Pistons for about $500 ... Rings/Bearings/timing chain/gaskets/etc $500 ... add an extra $500 for whatever else pops up ...
    You're at $4200 ... and you know you have a kick ass deal ... plus you built it so you know it's done right ...
    Just my thoughts ... good luck

cjordan
    Big inch motors need big heads, big flow, BIG cams, and big carbs to make power......which is $ $ $ $ $ $, I know from experience. I had 632" BBC (10.5:1) with fully ported Dart 360 heads (marginal) Dart tunnel ram, 2 X 775 race Demons (for idle, needed to be larger) 280/288@.050 ~.750" lift cam on 115 CL (could have used more cam)...point is, they need to move tons of air! It did make 900HP @6500 on pump gas and 820 ft/# @5000 though...

Havasu47
    Big inch motors need big heads, big flow, BIG cams, and big carbs to make power......which is $ $ $ $ $ $, I know from experience. I had 632" BBC (10.5:1) with fully ported Dart 360 heads (marginal) Dart tunnel ram, 2 X 775 race Demons (for idle, needed to be larger) 280/288@.050 ~.750" lift cam on 115 CL (could have used more cam)...point is, they need to move tons of air! It did make 900HP @6500 on pump gas and 820 ft/# @5000 though...
    Curious why you went with a 115 LS.....

cjordan
    Curious why you went with a 115 LS.....
    Simple...Idle quality. Had a 272/278@.050 in it on 114 before that cam. When I went to 280/288 on 115 idle was much, much rougher. Big inch motors seem to like wider LS as well...although I couldn't tell you why. Would idle ~900 out of gear. sounded nasty with dry to the tip CMI's.!

Jim W
    I would look into a 4.5 bore, 3.766 crank (your 427/396 crank), 6.135 rod ... you end up with a 479" motor ... a high reving big bore motor ... great set up IMO ... and you can still use your heads & all ... cheaper build for you.
    Busby, interesting combo there. I dont know if I have ever seen that before. Which makes it hard to put together a proven parts package. I would much rather copy someones sorted out BBC than try to figure out what will work the best for this combo.
    you can go to racingjunk.com and get a Merlin block for like $2200 and an eagle crank for like $800 ... rods here at Neil's spam ... http://www2.***boat.com/forums/show...&highlight=sdpm
    for $200 ... Pistons for about $500 ... Rings/Bearings/timing chain/gaskets/etc $500 ... add an extra $500 for whatever else pops up ...
    You're at $4200 ... and you know you have a kick ass deal ... plus you built it so you know it's done right ...
    Ohio Crankshaft has a 509---565 cu. in. unassembled Merlin kit for $3795 with none or the screwing around chasing down the parts.
    And to be honest with ya,
    I wouldnt mind having them do the assy. I have put toghether hundreds of motors but these guys are cutting edge and daily assemble Pro-Mod engines. I think they might be a little better at than me.
    Lastly,
    cjordan, yes I am very aware of the breathing requirements of big inch motors. I am just thinking of using the initial short block as a stepping stone. Adding heads, intake and carbs later.
    Soooooo I still have not gotten a reply about a good Flattie set up with one of their kits??
    Be good, Jim

Taylorman
    No matter what she says, bigger is better.

Busby, interesting combo there. I dont know if I have ever seen that before. Which makes it hard to put together a proven parts package. I would much rather copy someones sorted out BBC than try to figure out what will work the best for this combo.
    I was giving you the numbers of a prooven package ... would have given you all of the numbers too if asked ...
    I thought you were on a budget from your original post ... but if $$$ isn't an issue, knock yourself out! But like cjordan said:
    Big inch motors need big heads, big flow, BIG cams, and big carbs to make power......which is $ $ $ $ $ $
    So, to answer your original questions ...
    1--- If I did go with a big inch engine, am I ok with small heads (oval port, iron), new cam (solid) , Vic Jr intake and 850 Holley or Weiand tunnel ram (have one) with new carbs???? As I can afford it I would be adding the correct power parts to fit the engines size. Not looking for a all out engine.
    If you go with a big inch motor w/o chaning anything else ... you will have poor performance.
    2--- What would be a good choice?? Pro's and con's?
    I gave you the pro's and con's earlier with a good choice and the reasoning, but you didn't like the suggestion I guess.
    So I guess what I am asking is---- is it ok to buy a big incher and build tward the future???
    No one here knows what you are wanting to do in the future other than go 110 or so ... so it's hard to answer this question.
    I guess my question is to myself, why did I take the time to answer? You've already made up your mind it seems ... and have built 100's of motors to boot!
    Good luck to you ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast