Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy tech ????

Nucking futs
    I have a '99 chevy 3/4 ton crew cab with a 350 and the code p0340 camshaft position sensor malfuncution keeps going off. Where the hell is it? I have a crankshaft sensor that works with the distributor. I cant locate it, and the truck is misfiren and stumbling all over the place. I need to get this fixed asap before it quits all together and leaves me stranded.. Any help here?
    thanks, Tim

bajarunner
    I'm not sure about the '99, but on the '98 it is located inside the distributor. I suggest you get down to an auto parts store and pick up a manual for your truck. Many times these problems are due to bad wiring connections and bad ground wires or cicuits, so take a good look at the wires and connector leading to the sensor once you verify it's location. Hope this helps a little.

IMPATIENT 1
    more than likely the upper dist bushing is wore out and the shaft got sloppy, hitting the cam sensor i see it all the time. check for excessive dist gear wear too, that'll set 340's also. if the sensor is pluged in(the dist connector is the sensor), then i'd pull out the dist and inspect it.

502 JET
    The camshaft position sensor is inside the distributor.

Nucking futs
    more than likely the upper dist bushing is wore out and the shaft got sloppy, hitting the cam sensor i see it all the time. check for excessive dist gear wear too, that'll set 340's also. if the sensor is pluged in(the dist connector is the sensor), then i'd pull out the dist and inspect it.
    Everything looks to be tight,no slop at all. Must be in the wiring some where. I didnt pu lit out but you should be able to feel the slop if the bushing went away right? There is no wear on the ring under the rotor that shows it rubed or is hiting it anywhere.This shit sucks. Im getting no power when I check the pink wire on the puge. Also Im getting no power to the maf sensor and a code of p0102 is now showing up with the p0340 and they are showing twice each total of 4 codes.

IMPATIENT 1
    Everything looks to be tight,no slop at all. Must be in the wiring some where. I didnt pu lit out but you should be able to feel the slop if the bushing went away right? There is no wear on the ring under the rotor that shows it rubed or is hiting it anywhere.This shit sucks. Im getting no power when I check the pink wire on the puge. Also Im getting no power to the maf sensor and a code of p0102 is now showing up with the p0340 and they are showing twice each total of 4 codes.
    you may have an ignition switch shittin out on ya too, happens alot also.here's a linkl to the schemetics for that part of the system, when you have no power on the pink wire, check to see if you have it at the fuse, if you don't, i'd change the ignition switch:
    http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobS...ubid=96&evc=sm

IMPATIENT 1
    http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobS...ubid=96&evc=sm
    well, i guess its forbidden for me to link to our gm service site.
    the fuse that the pink wire comes offa of is the eng 1 fuse under the hood. if the pink wire isn't getting voltage, check for voltage on both sides of the fuse.if there isn't voltage, the ignition switch crapped out on ya.
    you'll also have to spin the mill over alittle bit to find slop in the top bushing, it usually wears to 1 side and its tricky finding it.i always just mark where the rotor is, pull the dist out real quik and check it on the bench. vortec motors will wear dist gears alot, even worse than normal if its a 454 vortec, they'll break off the whole side of the block where the starter mounts if the dist. gear gets to bad.

IMPATIENT 1
    the pink wire to the maf comes offa the same buss circuit in the fuse block as the eng1 fuse. the pink wire from the maf goes to the ecm1 fuse. its lookin like a ignition switch prob to me. you don't have an aftermarket alarm with a starter kill do ya???
    p.s., if you need the shemetics, pm me a fax number and i'll send em to ya

IMPATIENT 1
    http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...9508/125443867
    maybe this will work for ya, its from alldata and is the same diagram as the 1 on the gm service site.

Nucking futs
    Thanks for all the help, It apperas that the fuse had a dirty connection. I traced back all the pink wires from the maf and the cmp and they were on the same link underneath the fuse holder. I was not getting voltage from one side of the fuse. I pulled it out cleaned it and put it back in and all the voltage came back to both sensors. Its funny you mention the alarm, its a normal gm lock/unlock/panic and its not working now, go figure huh? As long as the other problems are fixed I can live with that.The door locks still work, just wont set itself now.is this related to all the other shiat that was going on?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast