Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just got a bill for $128,000...HOLY CRAP!!!

driverno8
    I just got a copy of the "Explanation of Benefits" bill from Loma Linda Hospital to my insurance. This is for keeping my new born in the NICU unit at Loma Linda University Hospital for 29 days! $127,897.14:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    Oh there's more to come. That bill was just went through the 7th of this month. And, Gavin isn't even ready to come home yet. He's still there. They don't even know when they can give us an estimate on when he might be able to leave. All he's got to do is figure out the bottle and he's home free. Until then it's $4,410.25 a day! Guess I need to shut up about the $781 a month I'm paying for insurance out of pocket....gotta love Cobra.:devil:
    Just wait until they get the bill for the open heart surgery in a few more months...OUCH!:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

pixilatedpussy
    I just got a copy of the "Explanation of Benefits" bill from Loma Linda Hospital to my insurance. This is for keeping my new born in the NICU unit at Loma Linda University Hospital for 29 days! $127,897.14:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    Oh there's more to come. That bill was just went through the 7th of this month. And, Gavin isn't even ready to come home yet. He's still there. They don't even know when they can give us an estimate on when he might be able to leave. All he's got to do is figure out the bottle and he's home free. Until then it's $4,410.25 a day! Guess I need to shut up about the $781 a month I'm paying for insurance out of pocket....gotta love Cobra.:devil:
    Just wait until they get the bill for the open heart surgery in a few more months...OUCH!:sqeyes: :sqeyes:
    :jawdrop: Thank goodness for insurance!

rivrrts429
    My son was in the NICU at Loma Linda (actually two sons - twins, one didn't survive) for two months and the bill was astronomical (sp.). I had to pay something like $20k in deductables...Thats just deductables!!! Thank god for my insurance or I wouldn't ever of been able to pay it off.
    But the staff was awesome!! We had one nurse that went above and beyond and we're forever grateful. I know how you feel but its money well spent. Good luck and get that feeding part down

clownpuncher
    Couldn't be at a better place than LL.
    Insurance...it's a good thing
    Hope all goes well with the little one.

Nord
    Makes you realize you NEED good insurance!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Mrs. 20
    We had a 27 week old son up in Flagstaff Arizona. He was helicoptered down to Phoenix, and spent 3 months in the hospital His tab..... almost two million. We had good insurance, but it is amazing how much the NICU costs.

Yes - thank goodness for insurance! Our daughter was born at 25 weeks, spent 3 months in the NICU and it was over $500,000.00 - and that was 13 years ago! :sqeyes: Although if you don't have insurance I believe the state pics up the bill

RitcheyRch
    Thankfully you have insurance

Outnumbered
    First, hope your son gets home soon. That has got to be tough. Sounds like he is almost home
    Second, this thread is a good example of why insurance premiums are getting out of control. Since we don't pay it out of our own pocket, we rarely complain. The whole medical profession abuses the insurance system and uses it to rape the insurance company who in turn raise our rates.
    I am self employed and have shitty insurance. We usually pay out of pocket for the small stuff so I have got a little inside view. It is very common for the convo to go like this...
    Them: "Will you be billing your insurance today?"
    Me: "How much is it?"
    Them: "If we bill insurance we charge $395 but if you pay cash we will only charge you $200"
    Me: "Why charge the insurance so much if it is only a $200 procedure?"
    Them: "Well, that is our agreed rate and we have to use it."
    You get the picture. They are making money at $200 and making a killing at $395 "because they can". It is totally out of control and now everyone is screaming for help from the government so we can have socialized health care and wait 2 months to get to the doctor all the while paying 4 times the going rate for care via tax increases. We're doomed:jawdrop:
    Rant over

rivrrts429
    Driverno8,
    Don't want to thread jack but thought I would add this
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EV4-Wtu-vvI
    Good luck with your baby boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast