Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT Classic car owners and lovers READ

Baja Big Dog
    Well the fricken state of California is at it agin..they want to scrap your classic cars!!!!
    Read this and pass it on to everyone yo know, if they own a classic car or just enjoy being able to look at them.
    God Im hatin this fricken state more and more...this is once again just plain wrong.
    http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62246

Devilman
    Thats f*cked up!

edog_103
    Let em smog the classics. They didn't have any smog equipment from the factory. Smogging cars that are 15 years old might not be a bad thing. Think of how many Border jumpers there there are that are driving a clapped out 1990 Ford minivan.

edog_103
    But those cars already have to get smog checked. They worded it this way so it doesnt seem like they are specifically going after classic cars but with there already being a law in place that requires all cars post '75 to be smoged that means that law would only really change things for cars that are '75 or older.
    True the cars do have to be smogged every two years. They are trying to change to every year. There are wet backs all over Riverside that buy a clapped out cars change owner ship and never do the smog check. They will drive it for a couple years, and get ride of it when they have to smog it and get it running correctly, two years later. Plus it's all about revenue in the State of California. They will re-word it somehow to make you pay some extra money to make it ok.

ULTRA26 # 1
    Well the fricken state of California is at it agin..they want to scrap your classic cars!!!!
    Read this and pass it on to everyone yo know, if they own a classic car or just enjoy being able to look at them.
    God Im hatin this fricken state more and more...this is once again just plain wrong.
    http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62246
    Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616.
    Per what I just read, pre 1976 vehicles would remain exempt. From 1975 forward, all autos were equipped with cats and full emmisoin systems. Also, I don't know of many "classics" that came after 1976 Most of the 1976 to late 80's vehicles seen on the street are POS and should be scrapped. (most not all)
    I am not for more govt control but this issue will not affect true classic cars.
    The main issue here is requiring vehicles 15 years and older (but not pre 1976 vehicles) to be smogged every year as opposed to every 2 years

Sleek-Jet
    Legislation (A.B. 616) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been now referred to the Senate Transportation Committee
    Pre-76 cars would still remain unsmogged.
    AZ has a similiar law now, except it's pre '72 I think. The cars have to be registared as "classic", essentially limiting the miles.

edog_103
    You think this law is lame? I just got popped 3 weeks ago for riding my Rmz-450 in the mountains from Silverwood to Arrowhead, because it's a red sticker bike. You can ride a 2002 2-stroke all year long, which has alot higher emissions then my 4-stroke. I hear the fine is $190 I'm not sure yet. Do they really care about emissions or money? You tell me.

RitcheyRch
    Government trying to force us to buy new cars every 6 years

Wizard29
    The way I read this is 1976 and earlier remain exempt from smog testing. Vehicles 15 years old and older all the way down to 1976 would require smog checks every year as opposed to every other year as it is now.
    As mentioned above, true classic cars won't be affected at all - the same it is now.
    But, if they do smog older cars, I wonder if the blown 632 in my '70 Monte would pass...:idea:

BADBLOWN572
    Thankfully the old "classics" will still remain the same. Seems as though they were "grandfathered" into it. Thats a relief. We have a bunch of old classics that will no way pass smog! Glad to see that we don't have to put them out to pasture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast