Thread: Identity theft tips

Jbb
    I got this today......In case anyone is interested...
    Identity Theft
    Good advice for protecting against identity theft.
    LAWYER'S ADVICE -- NO CHARGE
    Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice!
    A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.
    1. The next time you order checks, have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.
    2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".
    3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.
    4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your Social Security number printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.
    5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc.
    Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thief ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:
    1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.
    2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).
    But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)
    3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank which called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company who checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
    By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thief's purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thief threw my wallet away. This weekend someone turned it in. It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.
    Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:
    1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
    3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
    4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Boatcop
    Looked this up on Snopes and they confirm that this is generally good advice.
    However they did put some other ideas.
    1) Regarding the initials instead of full name. Really doesn't matter, since checks are processed electronically, and the signature doesn't even get looked at. Even if it isn't signed at all, they will probably go through.
    2) Phone number on check. Why bother with a phone number at all. If a merchant needs the number, you can write it on yourself.
    3) Credit card numbers (last 4 on check) Again, it isn't needed. They can take your account number from the slip you include.
    4) "See Photo ID" instead of signature on the back of the credit cards. I found this blurb on a credit scam website:
    So, the question is: is this the correct advice to reduce credit card fraud? Should you -- or should you not -- sign your credit cards?
    To answer this question, we called the fraud departments at MasterCard, Visa and American Express.
    All three advised that you definitely SHOULD sign your card.
    MasterCard told us that this idea -- not to sign your card -- is an urban legend that sounds sensible, but is not a good idea.
    American Express warned us that merchants are not supposed to accept your credit cards if they aren't signed. Visa agreed -- in fact, they said that the merchant is instructed to not finish the transaction until you sign your card!
    So, not signing your credit card is an example of a very popular urban legend that is false. And we stand by our original advice -- sign your credit cards immediately when you receive them.
    I can't remember the last time I wrote a check, anyway. Except for transferring funds between accounts at different banks, I never write checks. I do everything on-line, or use my debit card for purchases, and have for several years. Or I use the "Bill-Pay" service from Bank of America for those bills that don't have on-line payment.
    For on-line purchases, my credit card issuer has "Virtual Account Numbers" with generated numbers, expiration date, and confirmation code. The numbers are used for that transaction only, and are linked to my true account numbers. If they are tried any other time, they won't work. That way, even a dishonest merchant or employee can't use the info to make fraudulent purchases.
    I also check each and every account I have daily, just to be sure nothing unusual shows up. It's also a good idea to check your credit report at least every year. You can get all 3 credit agency reports for free once per year. Just go to www.annualcreditreport.com. This isn't the "freecreditreport.com" you see on TV, which requires you to sign up for the monitoring service. This is absolutely free, and required by recent Federal credit legislation.

NorCal Gameshow
    has anybody used the credit" freeze", you can "thaw" it when you need it.

Mardonzi
    And here I was thinking JBB had some helpful hints or advice for us prospective Identity Thieves,,,, damn it