Thread: B-max ?

rvrjunkie
    Last year my Bmax started to delay when I shifted it into reverse. I had a shop fix it and they replaced a bearing and a shaft in it. It worked great untill last weekend it started to delay again when I shifted in rev. I have only put about 15hrs on it since the shop fixed it. Does anybody else have this problem with their Bmax? I have a N/A 750HP motor that idles around 600-800RPM. It shifts in and out of forward and neutral fine. The shift lever goes in reverse easy but then there is a delay of 5-10 sec or sometimes longer before it engages.

ToMorrow44
    Could be a shifter cable starting to go out on you. Sometimes they wear out and won't move the full range of motion and it either needs to be replaced or adjusted. But then again, if it's doing the same thing as last time and it took a new bearing and shaft to fix it, it could be internal. If whoever put the drive together last time didn't set up the clearances right, it could've eaten up a gear. I would think that if this problem keeps reoccuring that it wouldn't be anything internal though. I would suggest taking it to a reputable shop and seeing what they say.
    -Tom

Daytona100
    Drain the oil look for metal. If metal probably a hard part failure if none maybe the cable.

BadKachina
    Last year my Bmax started to delay when I shifted it into reverse. I had a shop fix it and they replaced a bearing and a shaft in it. It worked great untill last weekend it started to delay again when I shifted in rev. I have only put about 15hrs on it since the shop fixed it. Does anybody else have this problem with their Bmax? I have a N/A 750HP motor that idles around 600-800RPM. It shifts in and out of forward and neutral fine. The shift lever goes in reverse easy but then there is a delay of 5-10 sec or sometimes longer before it engages.
    Fist try adjusting your lower cable at the bracket, make sure it's set up to give the most amount of throw possible (the bracket has a slide adjustment). If that doesn't work have someone take your upper gear set out and send it back to the Bravo Shop so they can re-shim it and fix it for you. They have the correct tools to set the gears up properly. It must be a common problem with B-Max's because it's not the first time I've seen this happen, and it's relatively in-expensive to have them fix it for you. Worst part about it is draining out and replacing the 20 gallons of gear oil..........

acatitude
    keep us posted on the outcome. would like to know what it was..Mine wouldnt shift into forward and had to grind out casing in front of shift lever... all cables were adjusted right. I also had an issue with the arm that attaches to the shift cable rubbing bottom of case.. whatever the rod that moves up and down is called that rotates the forward and reverse gears was out of wack and straight from the bravo shop like that. worked better before they messed with it... not quite 20 gallons lol

BadKachina
    keep us posted on the outcome. would like to know what it was..Mine wouldnt shift into forward and had to grind out casing in front of shift lever... all cables were adjusted right. I also had an issue with the arm that attaches to the shift cable rubbing bottom of case.. whatever the rod that moves up and down is called that rotates the forward and reverse gears was out of wack and straight from the bravo shop like that. worked better before they messed with it... not quite 20 gallons lol
    Good info, if you want to take the front cover off you will know right away if your getting all the throw your can take. I've ground a casing down to make one shift better (have more throw) but in the end I still had to send it back to B-Max to get it to finally work correctly.
    The shifter yoke and cam are the same parts that stock Bravos use. The linkage however is B-Max specific.

rvrjunkie
    I did drain the oil and there was very little shavings in it. The shop that did the work before was Bad Attitude Marine in Parker. They are the west coast shop for the Bmax and I felt good about the work they did. I did talk to them and they said it sounds like something is stuck in there. They told me to drain the oil and drive it around to see if it works it self out. As we all know drives usually do not fix themselves. Thanks for all the help.

don johnson
    Ron at Bad Attitude does all the work on my B Max's and we had the same problem with one of my drives some time ago. He had to shim the drive to get the clutch to grab correctly.
    Ron is awesome and does great work I am sure that he will figure it out.