Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Boating

adaml
    Hi all, I am fairly new to boating and very new to Jet Boats. I have a 18' Baja with a Berkley Jet 12J E or F the hand hole is outside. I would guess that the original engine was a 455 but it now has a 307 in it. I believe that I should be getting better than 42/45 out of it (not confirmed by GPS) but it does feel about right. I was hoping for some feedback and maybe some things to check for. In my opinion (wich is probably wrong) I should be getting 55 or better with this. Again I know very little about these. I am not sure what size impeller is in it, I have never had it apart (not that I would know what to look for anyway). The boat does come on to plane quickly so no problems there, anyway any help or feedback would be great.

Xlration Marine
    Up State, EH. I always wanted a jet when I lived there. I had the Raquette River in my back yard. A jet would have been nice to shoot the rapids with. If you want to see 55+ you wil need A: A bigger stock motor, or B: A whole lot of work done to the little one. If you are still around here in the Fall, post some picture of the Maple tree's. You know what I'm talking about. People out here in the South West don't know what Gods Country looks like in the Fall.

GunninGopher
    That speed is probably about right for the amount of power you are making.
    Look on the inside of the pump near the input shaft and you might see what pump model and impeller size that originally came with the boat "12JE-A" or something like that.
    If you want some advice I'd say if it is running good then enjoy the boat this summer before dicking with it too much!!
    If you want to go faster it may make more sense to sell a good running boat and then buy a good running, but faster, one. I don't know Baja's but suspect that you would probably have to spend too much to make it what you want.

MADDOG355
    I have seen a few nice Baja jets, If you are happy with the boat keep it. It is not hard to upgrade to a 455 later.
    Post pics of the boat, with your girlfriend on it .
    You will want to check out, realoldspower.com Alot of good advice on olds stuff from the group there. Just don't forget about ***boat.

76ANTHONY
    first off, a 307 is about 190 horses, you might wanna try building a nice 355 if you p a smallblock in her. and the baja's arent a bad boat, i would go with a bigblock 454 or bigger, you'll be amazed at what you can do then, but if its money we're talkin bout then what does the 307 have on it, 4bbl carb and intake? there are some strocker kits for a 307 but they cost as much as building a 355. hell dont mess with it till winter then put it in the garage, cause its hell a cold there, and work it out.
    and i lived in ny for 2 years in rome, nice area up there in them hills you gots....
    welcome to the boards

adaml
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I kind of figured along the same lines as Gopher that I wasn't going to get much more out of the 307. I will get some pics of the boat up here soon. and I will also take some pictures this fall for ya Xlration. I Live near Lake George, Schroon Lake region.
    Again thanks for the feedback everyone

pw_Tony
    I have seen a few nice Baja jets, If you are happy with the boat keep it. It is not hard to upgrade to a 455 later.
    Post pics of the boat, with your girlfriend on it .
    You will want to check out, realoldspower.com Alot of good advice on olds stuff from the group there. Just don't forget about ***boat.
    Ummm I thought he said he wanted to run better ... if you do do a motor swap go for a 350sbc with some work, and if you're dedicated to a big block then get anything BUT a 455... had a 455, not too much fun fixin them every season

jstapplayer2003
    what yr baja?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Main question adaml is "What do you WANT the boat to do?"
    I think you are getting all it's going to give you.
    I know a guy with a Galaxie similar to my Taylor, a good deal lighter, with a 360 AMC in it. He dearly wants to outrun lice, but is maxed long at about 58MPH.
    At least hot-rod parts EXIST for an Olds.
    If you want speed, the argument will convene over big Chevy or big Ford. Olds lovers will chime in too but it is a fact that the 455 takes vastly more care, concern, machine-work, and $$$$ to make a reliable, rev-happy, 500HP engine, and arround 500 is the max they accept for very long. There's a reason they are lighter than a big Chevy or Ford, less iron.
    The other 2 just go together that way.

adaml
    The Boat is 1979. I haven't given up by any means, I am going to run it for the season and work on it this winter. Thanks for the info on the 455 needing more attention than the other big blocks, I was just going to stick with the Olds motor for the exhaust, bell, and flywheel bolt patterns, although the bell and flywheel maybe interchangeable. ( I am not sure). So now maybe I will look into getting a 350 rocket motor. there are no limits i suppose only how much $$ I want to drop into it. I only have $1400.00 in it right now, and have already got that back in enjoyment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast