Thread: Seat/Seat Box Dimensions

Jetaholic
    Does anyone have a drawing or dimensions for seat mount boxes and seats? Me and a buddy are wanting to build the seats and boxes ourselves for my 18' Marlin jet.

Xlration Marine
    Well in most low freeboard boats, a 6" base is about as high as you will want to go. Measure up from there and that will be how tall your seat back will be. The size of the base will depend on the size of the seat base. And with that you will want to leave some room for a toe kick (like the space under a cabinet on the floor). As far as the width, how wide is your butt. If like most people you don't fint into an F1 Car, so it will be about 22" wide inside. With that said you will be about 26 1/2 to 27" out side, 2" on the insde for each side will net you the 22 for the base. So if your hips are say 18" wide add 4 1/2-5" for the foam on the inside of the seat, and that will give you your outside measurement. As far as how deep it goes, well that depends on how long you leggs are. If your Mini Me you don't want to get lost in it, and if your a cheating lowdown scunk center for the spurs you don't want you stuff (not that he has any) hanging off the front of the seat. So the depth will be at the back of your knees. And then add 2-2 1/2" for the foam for the seat back. Also when building it put about 10-12 degrees into the back, don't make it straight up. You want the things to be like and E Z Chair. Oh yea and DON'T FORGET THE TACK STRIP. Oh chit what the hell I've gone this far. The tack strip goes on the inside of the seat. 2" wide or the width of your foam, maybe 2 1/2". The foam will sit on top of it. It will run the perimeter on the inside of the seat, down the sides and across the back. 3/4" dont be cheep. And this is what the uperholstry will be stapled to. This way the staple will not pull out as easy as stapling them face down. For the seat cushon (?) the part you sit on, tay. You will need about 1/2 -3/4 of an inch gap all the way around it, from the tack strip. This is because of the foam and material that will be wrapped around the seat base. The tack strip will give you more holding power to fasten the sides and back of the seat. Ya don't want them falling apart. When the seat is done fiberglass all of the joints of the wood and resin coat the rest of it. I think I'm done. YUP. Let me know if you need any more help. Oh yea a bench seat is built the same way.