Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Want To Blow Up

OverKill
    Guys I am putting in a new fuel sending unit. It is the one that is just a Rod/Probe in the fuel tank, there is no float. I was really curious as to how does it not ignite the fuel. After all it is an eletric probe going right into the fuel. Can someone tell me how this works, so I can stop freaking out about blowing up.
    OverKill

Daytona100
    Hopefully has a nice ground. I would bring a extinguisher and wear some nomex on the maiden voyage. Mike

OverKill
    Hopefully has a nice ground. I would bring a extinguisher and wear some nomex on the maiden voyage. Mike
    Well considering the fact the 30 gallon tank is right under my ass. I don't think a FE will be any good to me.

SmokinLowriderSS
    They work on capacitance, and airplanes have been using them for decades (like 4 or 5 decades).
    They have 2 metal sleeves running 1 inside the other, separated by space.
    They put a voltage against 1 sleeve, fuel will conduct a certain ammount of electricity. The voltage picked up by the other tube is directly relative to the ammount/height of tube(s) wetted by the fuel. Thisi is translated to an ohm reading for the fuel gauge.
    My Taylor uses one, very nice.
    Mine, if you get water in the tank, they immediately read "full" to the gauge, so you know something is up. Mine is 1/2" above the tank bottom for a "reserve" of a couple gallons.

OverKill
    Thanks Smoken
    I guess I don't have to worry about blowing up than.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I am running the Centroid unit.
    Info at Centroid (http://www.centroidproducts.com/data.htm)
    I installed the damped version due to an, unbaffled, wide, flat tank. It reads very steadilly.
    Warranty is 2 years.
    They can be bent to fit aplication if needed (have bent ones made for you) and are custom length made at no charge.
    I think mine set me back $65

502 JET
    Guys I am putting in a new fuel sending unit. It is the one that is just a Rod/Probe in the fuel tank, there is no float. I was really curious as to how does it not ignite the fuel. After all it is an eletric probe going right into the fuel. Can someone tell me how this works, so I can stop freaking out about blowing up.
    OverKill
    I have changed in tank fuel pumps in cars that had the wiring harness inside the tank burned up. Submerged in the gas there is no oxygen there for no fire can occur with out it.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Also, just for grins and education, liquid gasoline does not burn, will not burn, period. :idea:
    Cold gasoline, with no or nearly no fumes above it, will extenguish any flame source put into it.
    Now, the fumes, vapors evaporating from the surface of it, into air, are an entirely different story.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    They work on capacitance, and airplanes have been using them for decades (like 4 or 5 decades).
    They have 2 metal sleeves running 1 inside the other, separated by space.
    They put a voltage against 1 sleeve, fuel will conduct a certain ammount of electricity. The voltage picked up by the other tube is directly relative to the ammount/height of tube(s) wetted by the fuel. Thisi is translated to an ohm reading for the fuel gauge.
    My Taylor uses one, very nice.
    Mine, if you get water in the tank, they immediately read "full" to the gauge, so you know something is up. Mine is 1/2" above the tank bottom for a "reserve" of a couple gallons.
    You have waaay too much info Double "A" Ron

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Thanks Smoken
    I guess I don't have to worry about blowing up than.
    Your all good james Hows the boat comming?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast