Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 12V audio myths. - Add yours

ROZ
    He'd blow his entire budget on two sheets of 2" marine ply and 4000 stainless screws.

rivercrazy
    Throw this one out.. There might be a difference... One of the ply's may have a crack in it and develop a rattle over time... You'd probably hear it in a closed environemt like a car..
    This is a boating website and were talking about boat systems. Also marine ply is HIGHLY unlikely to have this kind of problem.
    And if your using Kicker subs a rattle might increase SQ!

Havasu Hangin'
    Throw this one out.. There might be a difference... One of the ply's may have a crack in it and develop a rattle over time... You'd probably hear it in a closed environemt like a car..
    A few extra screws will fix that right up.

If WFS did the install, I'd check the sub screws first, though.
    And if your using Kicker subs a rattle might increase SQ!
    :jawdrop:

ROZ
    Damn..you guys are hardcore

Havasu Hangin'
    We decided not to screw subs in anymore, on your advice. We're going for the big ass air leak mounting style you've popularized.
    Will you guys have any paste and rubber bands left over from making the box?

rivercrazy
    I like it. Paper mache subboxes glued with a elmers

ROZ
    Our new saying is "Get a Brahma for your mama." You know how we roll.
    Well I think you just made HH's day... I think he's a Adire Audio fan...
    Great now this thread is going to died.. You guys will agreee on something...

Havasu Hangin'
    If we do, we'll probably use them to mount the head unit.
    shockwavebob- THIS IS ADAM. hh is right..u r an idiat. please see me in my orifice in the morning.

Tom Brown
    1. What the hell do you think a port is? It's a BIG air leak, but somehow, the sub still works. IT'S A MIRACLE!
    It is a column of air that, if properly designed, will resonate in phase with the driver at a given frequency. The port resonant frequency is typically engineered to the F3 of the driver. That is, when it's engineered at all.
    A port is a massively different thing than a simple hole drilled in an enclosure. A port will provide damping for driver where the hole will not (at least, not at low bass frequencies).

Tom Brown
    Q. Can leaking air affect the output of a sub because of sound cancellation?
    A. No. Since the soundwaves cannot escape small holes...only big ones like ports, there is no ill effect.
    This is a great point. The escaping air is 180* out of phase and will directly cancel the front wave but a 1/8" hole can not compete with a 12" cone so the losses are small.
    Q. Can leaking air affect the output of a sub because the suspension is no longer supported by a sealed box?
    A. No. Most subs are designed for sealed or ported enclosures (a port is a big-ass air leak).
    A sub can't be optimized for both type of enclosures. The optimal Qts of a driver designed for a ported enclosure is quite different from the optimal Qts of a driver designed for a sealed enclosure. The drivers I've seen lately all seem to be high Q drivers (stiff suspension) that are probably best suited for an application somewhere between a bass reflex enclosure and infinite baffle. ... but people put them in sealed boxes anyway. ... and they generally work.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast