Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Best 6.5" round speaker?

Froggystyle
    Ummmm Pardon the Interruption:
    I love Zapco amps the best in car or truck----- but do not know anything about their speakers for marine application. Care to comment.
    KAP
    I use them in our premium installation. You have seen the level of thought that we put into every aspect of the boat, from wire looms to steering hardware. You heard the boat, and your exact words were that "everyone else shuts their stuff off when we get there" should solidify your faith in my choice.
    Keep in mind, all of the sound you hear in the boat is coming essentially out of six component sets, four subwoofers and two amplifiers. It runs for 8+ hours at a very loud volume and by sending out only discrete signal, it wastes none of it's wattage on crossovers or filtering. With the Class D monoblock sub amp, we are able to see massive gains in battery life over a standard amplifier, with no perceivable reduction in sound quality. All of the speakers are water resistant and can be used in an infinite baffle application, though they work better in enclosures by a lot.
    Not cheap, but not insanely expensive, and more importantly, they deliver huge for the buck.

rivercrazy
    Decibals as measured on an "intensity" level is more a lab/engineering scale than SPL measurements adjusted for the human ear. Instruments are able to consistently measure "intensity". But for human ear purposes, the variance in each set of ears and how the human ear amplifies certiain frequencies, makes this measurement inconsistent.
    Most SPL meters are adjusted to compensate for the human ear and closely mimic an average range as interpreted by the human ear.
    If you take those same decibal levels and measure them on a scientific instruments on an "intensity" scale, the results would be more scientifically accurate. But not really important for the purposes of developing consumer products. Human perception is more important for this purpose.

02HoWaRd26
    Has anyone heard the PIXI boat, I have never heard a system not run on a generator on a pontoon sound better then theirs...

Cheap Thrills
    Well, look who must be living in a Holiday Inn Express these days!
    That explains clearly why the science never jived with my perception.
    I will say this, if I leave the stereo on at 32, power down, go away and then come back later and just hit the power button... I am in disbelief that I listen to music that loud. Yet, on the sandbar all I can think of is how to get even more sound out of it.
    As you say, the tolerance is built progressively.
    A lot makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
    Wes
    Hey Wes,
    Here's more food for thought for ya.......
    I believe that speaker/amplifier performance has as much to do with the volume you hear over extended periods of time, as ones tolerance to high volume levels.
    The longer you play at high power levels the hotter the voice coil gets. As heat increases in the voice coil so does the DC resistance/ AC impedance, the higher the resistance the less efficient the driver AND amplifier become, and thus more power is required to drive the speaker to the same volume level. That is why it's loud as hell err louder than you remember it after you shut down for a cool off period and return to the same settings.
    I have a few papers/ links on the subject I will try to dig up.
    ANYHOOO.... (http://www.peavey.com/support/techno.../impedance.cfm)
    Back to the original question as to what the best 6.5" speakers are.
    You can pick apart any speaker , point out the good and harp on the bad all day until nothing sounds good on paper....But Quite simply , The best speakers are The ones your ears like.
    But for marine use nothing is going to last very long. If you can keep the amplifier off the rails These (http://www.dcgoldaudio.com/index.html) are great for marine use.
    *Flame Suit On
    T.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456