Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Plugs still white!!!

DUCKY
    I am up to 90's and 94's in my HP950 Holley. Factory jetting in this carb was 78's all the way around. This is on an 8:1 468 Chevy with Team G intake, little oval port heads and 302/544 Crane cam, in my 18' v-drive. Motor is running better, but still has a miss at WOT (46-4700rpm)and the plugs are still white. I added raw fuel to the engine at WOT with my nitrous (fuel) solenoid, and the miss went away, but I also lost rpm, of course. You would think that adding that much fuel to it would make the plugs turn black, right? Wrong! They were a nicely colored greyish tan. That makes no sense, now does it? What do you guys think?

Hotcrusader76
    Scott,
    Check your email.
    ~Ty

DUCKY
    I did. Thanks Ty.

Blown 472
    you changed tha heat range?? it will take some time to color them.
    If I remember right I read some where that if you are jetting a bunch over stock then something else is wrong, I think it is on the holley website.
    [ January 02, 2003, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

DUCKY
    I haven't changed the plugs (again...) yet. I am going to try another carb I have first

Thunderbutt
    Are you sure your secondaries are opening all the way. What plug are you looking at? Maybe there is a vacuum leak around the plug your checking. Check 2 or 3 plugs

DUCKY
    The HP950 is a mechanical carb and it is opening fully. I can only get to 3 plugs (2, 7, and 8) when the headers are hot, but I have looked at all of them after cool down, They all look about the same. (which is like s**t!!!)

Maxey
    Hello "Ducky",
    I think your problem is either lack of fuel (fuel supply) or ignition. In my opinion, your carburetor is too large for your application. That aside, I would reccomend 80's on the primaries
    and 82's on the secondaries. I ran this setup on a 502 BBC with similar modifications in a 18'
    DiMarco runnerbottom with No problems and 90's in the mph. I used an MSD ignition, with a
    magnetic pulse distributor. Hope this helps.
    Maxey

DUCKY
    You're the second person to say that. I am going to try a modified 750 that my Dad has. Is it because the engine, being the "air pump" that it is, cannot pull sufficient air through the carb for a strong enough booster signal for proper fuel metering?

Hotcrusader76
    Bingo! Exactly.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast