Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break In Oil

RCB19
    What is the correct type of oil to use for break in on the dyno? I know not to use synthetics at first. I will be running a full roller valvetrain 260#'s seat pressure. I have always used straight 30w in the past but that was for flat tappet slider valvetrains. Is there a special oil that is used for this? Detergent/Non Detergent, straight weight multi weight, brand etc? Any help appreciated.

hotbo
    well im no expert here but i do like to use rotella 15-40.on break in with gm eos.i know they say straight weight,but i have ever done this and never had a problem.im sure some of these smarter fellas will help you more than i can.later travis

Ralph Brunt
    no need for break in with solid rolle, just dont use synthetic too slipery. i use valvoline vr 20/50

IMPATIENT 1
    well im no expert here but i do like to use rotella 15-40.on break in with gm eos.i know they say straight weight,but i have ever done this and never had a problem.im sure some of these smarter fellas will help you more than i can.later travis
    great minds think alike that's what's in the blown 475's pan as we speak!
    i used to work for a company who serviced nothing but ambulances and patrol cars. we did oil samples on the deisel pushed amb. and used castrol, delo, rotella t. we always got at least 20% less heavy metal particulates with the rotella. the stuff does the same thing is gasoline motors as well. other than race specific oils, i don't know of any other off the shelf oil that's works as good or keeps a motor as clean internally.

Ralph Brunt
    i read the reason for the rottella was for the added zinc content, and was only needed when breaking in flat or hyd tappet cams

RCB19
    I have heard about the diesel engine motor oils and its benefits such as the higher zinc content. I will be using Red Line Synthetic after the break in just for that same reason. It is supposed to have a higher parts per million zinc content which I know will be beneficial with higher spring pressures in my application. I'm seeking for a good petroleum based oil for break in that will only see about 20-30 minutes of run time on the dyno to seat the rings etc. It will then be drained and replaced with the Red Line. Remember I a breaking in a motor with a roller solid roller cam so some of the necessary procedures for breaking in a motor with a flat tappet will be different. Thanks.

Squeezing Spectra
    If you are looking for real break in oil Joe Gibbs racing makes a good one it also helps with seating the rings it is called Gibbs BR

IMPATIENT 1
    i read the reason for the rottella was for the added zinc content, and was only needed when breaking in flat or hyd tappet cams
    i breaking in a blown, full roller, balanced 475bbc on the stuff. i believe in it, prob gonna run it till its time to tear down for inspection at 30hrs(when i do it, usually 2 seasons).

DEL51
    I am usuing a cheap 10w 30 oil and witll run it foran hour or less. I will load the engine in the boat. I will stab the throttle for 3-5 seconds and vary the rpm. Dump it and use 20w 50 Shaeffers with moly. I have had good luck with this oil. STP has a nice amount of zinc. GM EOS has good additives as well. I am running a roller cam and looking for good ring seal.

What is the correct type of oil to use for break in on the dyno? I know not to use synthetics at first. I will be running a full roller valvetrain 260#'s seat pressure. I have always used straight 30w in the past but that was for flat tappet slider valvetrains. Is there a special oil that is used for this? Detergent/Non Detergent, straight weight multi weight, brand etc? Any help appreciated.
    Hi RCB. Go to your local NAPA store and ask the counterman to order you some 20-50W Valvoline 'Special' Racing Oil. Tell him this oil is for OFFROAD use only(marked on the box and on the bottles as such), and will be listed as special racing oil. It comes in 6 qt cases and contains pounds of Zinc and other 'metals' that engines need for breakin(more than any Diesel Oil has). It costs a little more, but is well worth it. I always dump in a bottle of Comp Cams EOS also for insurance. By the way, this offroad oil is normal Valvoline Racing Oil from the 'olden days'(my time), before everything caused cancer, lol. Check it out. It'll do the job. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast