Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Grocery strike

djunkie

Wake up DJ................there's containers to offload We all need our Chinese made American products................wanna talk about lost jobs from high cost of labor in the US? I'd rather not.
    I already worked 2 nights this week. I had to take tonight off to rest up. :crossx: :crossx:

HM
    Well, its better than being short I guess.
    I may be short, but atleast I am tan.

VanDeano
    Tell her to max out her 401k. Also with 2 house payments I don't have much of a problem with getting taxed.
    Are you crazy If I told her that her take home pay would leave me hardly anything! She my girlfriend not my wife

djunkie
    I may be short, but atleast I am tan.
    You got me there.

djunkie
    Are you crazy If I told her that her take home pay would leave me hardly anything! She my girlfriend not my wife
    How long has she been full time? Class A or is she still an ID? She work nightside or dayside? I may know her.

Havasu Doug
    The workers aren't looking at the big picture.
    40 hours/week @ $17.90 hr.
    $716 week before taxes.
    If the strike lasts 8 weeks - half the time of the last one - $5728 in lost wages.
    Assume this results in a 5% bump or $35.50 per week increase.....
    It would only take 161 weeks or over 3 years to recoup:idea: :sqeyes:
    First of all, the only workers that are making $17.90 an hour are a small minority of the overall store labor covered by this dispute. That figure does not apply to anyone working in a Service Deli, Service Bakery, General Merchandise Department, Lobby, Photo Processing, Video rental, Starbucks, Floral, Pizza Kitchen, Liquor or anyone stocking beer, soda, cookies, crackers, bread........ Also, that only applies to the workers excluded from the categories mentioned that were hired prior to March of 2004.
    Why are you assuming a 5% bump in pay is asked for? No one has asked for that. Stater Brothers has already agreed to a 2.7% pay increase for the highest earners and the union is trying to match that. That by the way, would be the first pay increase since 2002. Baggers make minimum wage no matter how long they have been there. The people in the categories mentioned above start out at $.05 above minimum wage and with the high turnover rate, many don't get much higher than that. Checkers start out at $1.40 above minimum wage and don't ever max out to $17.90 anymore. Also, a small minority works 40 hours a week so if you assume a typical worker affected by this earns $716 a week, you are misleading anyone reading this thread that doesn't know the facts. Your lost wages figure doesn't account for the fact that those affected either collect income while working other jobs in the meantime or picketing. Picketers have income too.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789