Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: blower motor idle surge??bad thing??

IMPATIENT 1
    is it a bad thing to let a blown motor idle surge? my timings locked at 34, btm is turned to 1. it sounds awesome, just wondering if its bad on the mains to let it do it. fuel mixture is close so i don't think its idle surging from being to fat or lean. bottom of the surge is about 800, then back up to 15-1600.

hotbo
    well well are you asking questions over hear young man.i bet it sounds good.hell thought all blowers had idle surge thats what i love about them.but like you said hope its not hurting anything

Marty Gras
    Blower surge, "cycling" is a rich condition. If your motor were lean, it would just idle faster and may tend to stall and "cough". With mechanical fuel injectors on blown gas drag boats, we would richen the idle/barrel valve, to "kill" a little of the off idle power. The richer the idle, the more the motor surges. What happens when you turn the fuel valve off while the motor is running? It leans out, it picks up speed and then dies. Your bearing clearances will decide if they like the surge. With .003" on the rods or mains, I would try to stay around 1000RPMs on the low and 1500RPMs on the high. When you 'ease' it into gear, on the low (800RPMs) you may be loading the motor at 500RPMs and draging a bearing or two. Unless you have a jet drive, then it doesn't matter. The jet loads the motor very smoothly and creates no problems for the motor.

IMPATIENT 1
    well well are you asking questions over hear young man.i bet it sounds good.hell thought all blowers had idle surge thats what i love about them.but like you said hope its not hurting anything
    a smart man knows to ask questions before probs arise i can idle up above it, but if its not hurting the bearings, i let it do it(sounds soo cool )

IMPATIENT 1
    Blower surge, "cycling" is a rich condition. If your motor were lean, it would just idle faster and may tend to stall and "cough". With mechanical fuel injectors on blown gas drag boats, we would richen the idle/barrel valve, to "kill" a little of the off idle power. The richer the idle, the more the motor surges. What happens when you turn the fuel valve off while the motor is running? It leans out, it picks up speed and then dies. Your bearing clearances will decide if they like the surge. With .003" on the rods or mains, I would try to stay around 1000RPMs on the low and 1500RPMs on the high. When you 'ease' it into gear, on the low (800RPMs) you may be loading the motor at 500RPMs and draging a bearing or two. Unless you have a jet drive, then it doesn't matter. The jet loads the motor very smoothly and creates no problems for the motor.
    good to know, thanx. its in a jet and its not a bad surge, and my o2 system indicates fuel mixture is ok at idle. i jacked with the four corner idle at all 4 metering plates and its seems to run best with all four screws turned out 1 full turn.anything above 1 1/4 turn on the screws send my a/f ratio meter into a rich setting, anything less the 3/4 turn and its got a fast lean idle, a/f gauge show lean too. so i guess i'll live with surge

Havasu Hangin'
    The only thing better than one motor surging...
    ...is two (http://users.accesscomm.ca/tombrown/Labor Day HB 3.wmv).

hotbo
    wow that looked rough as hell,but the 2 motors sounded good

40FlatDeck
    The only time it is a pain is around the docks, and that's only sometimes. I love the sound of them surging. I also like how easy it is on the trannies when I shift.

DMOORE
    BOTH my motors surge between 800 and 1200RPM. After a bit of driving you get used to maneuvering with them. Also by timing the low point it just clicks into gear.
    Oh ya.... it does sound bitching.
    Darrell.

VDRIVERACING
    Let's face it, the looks and sounds have a lot to do with the decision--and ongoing love--to have a blower. It is the hottest, baddest, tinker toy we ever dreamdt of. Matter of fact, if it's not surging, I'm feeling a little cheated!
    From a purely common sense standpoint, if it's not surging, you're probably too lean. Blowers need to puff a little smoke at idle, surge a bit...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast