Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim cyclinder help

deeee
    When I lower my out drive it doesnt want to go all the way down every time unless I cycle it up and down a few times. It also keep throwing my trim limit switch out of adjustment. It doesnt seem to be sagging when I leave it all the way up for long periods. If I leave it half way down for a few hours it will fall a little bit. What should I do?

BDMar
    I dont have enough info about what you have to know for sure. Probably trim cylinders need rebuilding. Also if the trim limit switch goes out of adjustment usually the pivot bolt under the switch is loose. That is what drives the trim switch and senders. Every time you trim the drive it will turn that bolt a little if it is loose.

deeee
    The trim cylinders were supposedly rebuilt a year ago but I dont trust the guy that did the work. To tighten that bolt do I have to remove the drive. Its a pre alpha set up but the drive was upgrade to alpha. Since there really old would I be better off putting new ones on.

BDMar
    The trim cylinders were supposedly rebuilt a year ago but I dont trust the guy that did the work. To tighten that bolt do I have to remove the drive. Its a pre alpha set up but the drive was upgrade to alpha. Since there really old would I be better off putting new ones on.
    All you have to do is remove the trim switch to tighten it. The bolt is similar to a Torx drive.

watergun4u
    I agree with b&d the tork bit you need is a 7/16 6 point tork bit, check to make sure that the senders are tight, check the 2 screws that hold the senders, they could be loose and moving on you also! as far as the unit not coming down all the way, you may be low on fliud, or your pump is going out, you should have the same speed all the way down to full tilt, and the same speed coming up as far as the trim, and comes up the rest of the way with the trailer switch!:idea:

BDMar
    as far as the unit not coming down all the way, you may be low on fliud, or your pump is going out, :idea:
    The pump definitely could be going out, however probably not low on fluid because when the trim cylinders go "in" the fluid returns to the pump so it is filling up. When you have to cycle it to get them to work it is usually an internal leak that you are bleeding, or the o-ring are hard or corroded and need a few cycles to lubricate them enought to hold a seal.

deeee
    It seems to be moving at a steady speed and I checked the fluid and its full. Is it possible there might be air in the system and should I try maybe bleeding the system. How would I bleed the system.

BDMar
    It seems to be moving at a steady speed and I checked the fluid and its full. Is it possible there might be air in the system and should I try maybe bleeding the system. How would I bleed the system.
    They are self bleeding, just run it up and down. Rebuild the trim cylinders.

deeee
    Is this something I can do by myself or do you need special tools. Also in my mannual its saying to use motor oil instead hydraulic fluid. Can I run hydraulic fluid.

laveycrafter
    I did mine a couple of moths ago, pretty straight forward, I made a tool to undo the ram caps, and it was simple. If you use motor oil, use it from here on out, maybe one of the other tech guys could verify that.........Dont forget the locktite.......took about 2 qts of trim fluid to get mine up to range, but all is good now, and no leaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast