Thread: Rattlesnake Avoidance.

edog_103
    Has anybody ever taken there dog to Rattlesanke avoidance training? I have Yellow lab and the dork thought he would hunt up a rattlesnake in the back yard. He didn't get bit, I grabbed him before he did anything stupid. The picture is not that good, but the snake was about 4' long and 3" Diameter 8 rattles.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/rattler.jpg

Yes I go every year and highly recommend it to anyone in snake country. Post 33 is the link. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149843)

2Driver
    I bought the collar and did it myself. Easy to do and you have the collar for follow-up training.
    He was so well snake trained that one time I saw him walking 50 feet out of his way to go around a 3' piece of brown rope.

partytime
    http://www.patrickcallaghan.com/
    Try this guy. Both of my boxers have gone through his training and it does work. They are no longer curious of rattlesnakes.

edog_103
    Thanks.
    It looks like they have a class available at Gameland kennels. They are close to my house.

Hotcobra270
    I bought the collar and did it myself. Easy to do and you have the collar for follow-up training.
    He was so well snake trained that one time I saw him walking 50 feet out of his way to go around a 3' piece of brown rope.
    Can you post on how to do it yourself? I looked into the classes and they dont have any in the phoenix area..
    Any suggestions anyone?

2Driver
    Can you post on how to do it yourself? I looked into the classes and they dont have any in the phoenix area..
    Any suggestions anyone?
    They do it right off Cave Creek road by me. Big banner out on Cave Creek Road at a dog training facility just north of Tatum on the west side. Next time I go by I will try to get the number.
    Here is how I did it and it worked but it is not for everyone. It works easier with 2 people to help with the dog and the snake.
    Easy part: By a shock collar with remote. Read the directions on how to use it with the dog. ie leave it on the dog for a week or so without shocking him so he does not tie having the collar on and being shocked etc...
    Hard part: Find a rattlesnake. ( I just waited until one came by in the evening or morning). Have the dog on a leash and walk out and point out the snake from about 30 feet. (have the other person agitate the snake to get it to rattle loud) immediately as he sees it scream "get back get back" and nail him hard with the shock collar. Run back from the snake and keep yelling "get back" no more shock is needed beyond the first one.
    NEXT: Whack the snake in the head with a shovel :jawdrop: and place him in a different area of the yard. BE SURE he is dead as they can still strike. It’s best if he is whacked but still rattling as they do that for about 3 minutes when they feel vibration on the ground. Take the dog out on the lease but this time get within 10' before you point out the snake, shock him and scream get back get back and pull him back hard.
    Last, again this is what I did and it worked. Be sure the Snake is dead dead dead. Take a fishing rod and hook the snake on the about 3" down from his head. Remember any fangs still carry venom so you DO NOT go near the head.
    Put about 50' of line out between you and the snake while holding the fishing rod now hooked to the snake. Place a favorite toy about 8' from the very dead snake. Call your dog out and show him the toy and tell him to go get it. Watch closely to see when he recognizes the snake and when he does repeat the above process of hard shock and get back get back.
    I did this twice with 2 separate snakes and he was snake trained for good. I also took the opportunity to do it with other snakes as a refresh but I can tell you he would not go near anything that even looked like a snake for the rest of his life.
    Good luck and be safe. If you are not comfortable with snakes then I would go with the class.

Mountainstone
    I grew up in rural 'Bama. One of my beagles got bit on the shoulder/neck by a rattler and it swelled up so big it looked fake. I called the weekend veterinarian emergency line and asked how quick he could meet me. The vet said not to sweat it, he had never seen or heard of a dog dying from a snakebite. Told me to just monitor him to ensure the swelling didn't interfere with his breathing and let him be. The dog just lay on his side breathing for a day until the swelling went down. He never went near a snake again; didn't cost me a dime to teach him that.

Hotcobra270
    They do it right off Cave Creek road by me. Big banner out on Cave Creek Road at a dog training facility just north of Tatum on the west side. Next time I go by I will try to get the number.
    Here is how I did it and it worked but it is not for everyone. It works easier with 2 people to help with the dog and the snake.
    Easy part: By a shock collar with remote. Read the directions on how to use it with the dog. ie leave it on the dog for a week or so without shocking him so he does not tie having the collar on and being shocked etc...
    Hard part: Find a rattlesnake. ( I just waited until one came by in the evening or morning). Have the dog on a leash and walk out and point out the snake from about 30 feet. (have the other person agitate the snake to get it to rattle loud) immediately as he sees it scream "get back get back" and nail him hard with the shock collar. Run back from the snake and keep yelling "get back" no more shock is needed beyond the first one.
    NEXT: Whack the snake in the head with a shovel :jawdrop: and place him in a different area of the yard. BE SURE he is dead as they can still strike. It’s best if he is whacked but still rattling as they do that for about 3 minutes when they feel vibration on the ground. Take the dog out on the lease but this time get within 10' before you point out the snake, shock him and scream get back get back and pull him back hard.
    Last, again this is what I did and it worked. Be sure the Snake is dead dead dead. Take a fishing rod and hook the snake on the about 3" down from his head. Remember any fangs still carry venom so you DO NOT go near the head.
    Put about 50' of line out between you and the snake while holding the fishing rod now hooked to the snake. Place a favorite toy about 8' from the very dead snake. Call your dog out and show him the toy and tell him to go get it. Watch closely to see when he recognizes the snake and when he does repeat the above process of hard shock and get back get back.
    I did this twice with 2 separate snakes and he was snake trained for good. I also took the opportunity to do it with other snakes as a refresh but I can tell you he would not go near anything that even looked like a snake for the rest of his life.
    Good luck and be safe. If you are not comfortable with snakes then I would go with the class.
    huh? go find a rattlesnake? Call me a Pussy but I tend to try to get away from those thing rather than to go out and find one...
    I think I'll take them to the trainers..
    thanks for the info man..