Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Baby! Lakers in trade talks to get KG...

STLRFAN
    Lakers, Wolves reportedly in talks regarding Garnett
    ESPN.com news services
    Updated: June 25, 2007, 5:37 PM ET
    If the Lakers are trying to get Kobe Bryant to change his mind about leaving, they're off to a good start.
    Garnett
    The Los Angeles Times cited league sources on Monday saying that the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are in discussions that could bring Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles.
    Trade discussions have involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and possibly a fourth team. The report says that the Lakers would get Garnett, while the Pacers would land Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. The Wolves would likely acquire a lottery pick and young players. Another team would also have to be involved to make the deal work financially.
    Sources told ESPN and ESPN.com that the fourth team at this point is the Celtics, who would get Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers.
    Wolves hungry?
    The Timberwolves will have to get enough in return to make this deal work, ESPN Insider's Chad Ford writes. He offers some possible scenarios. Blog
    According to the Times, Lakers owner Jerry Buss and Wolves owner Glen Taylor spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes on Friday. Buss then suggested that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale carry on the discussions on Monday.
    Bryant has repeatedly asked for a trade over the past month, saying that he doesn't feel that the Lakers are trying hard enough to improve. After losing in the NBA Finals four years ago, the Lakers missed the playoffs in 2004-05 and were out of the postseason in the first round the past two years.
    Garnett has never publicly requested a trade despite the fact that the Wolves have struggled to remain competitive in recent years. Minnesota finished with a 32-50 record last season. The Wolves haven't been to the playoffs since 2004.
    With Garnett able to opt out of his contract after next season, the time might be right for the Wolves to pull the trigger on a deal. McHale said last week that he has not been actively shopping his star, but that was a bit of a departure from previous statements in which he said he would not trade Garnett.
    The 12-year veteran is owed $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the final year of his contract. He has requested an extension and the Times is reporting that Buss has told Taylor he would be willing to do that.
    Garnett averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds and 4.1 assists last season. He is a 10-time All-Star.
    Bynum's name has come up often in any trade talks concerning the Lakers recently. He averaged 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds last season but is only 19 years old and 7 feet tall.
    Odom averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season, but he did miss 26 games because of injuries. He has shoulder surgery in May but is expected to return for next season.

dmontzsta
    I noticed Bresnahan updated the article. A 4-team trade is highly unlikely as if all four GM’s don’t agree, nothing happens. However, I don’t see this happening - L.A. overpays for KG and Minny gets a nice little package - but is it better than the #5 in the draft and fillers? Hmmmm… Don’t like this one too much:
    L.A. Times: The Times first reported the talks as a multi-player negotiation involving the Lakers, Minnesota, Indiana and possibly a fourth team. Sources now say the Lakers are dealing directly with Minnesota and disagree about the involvement of the Pacers and a fourth team.
    The Lakers are reportedly offering the Timberwolves Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown for Garnett.
    DO IT MITCH! you pussy.

eliminatedsprinter
    The trade talk here in Phoenix is, Marion, Banks and Kurt Thomas to Minn. for KG. I am not sure KG is a fit here. Not that I wouldn't want his abilities, where Marion came up short thsi season during playoffs. I just don't think you can have 3 superstars on one team.
    Why not? The Lakers did it in the 60's (and early 70s) and the 80's. But KG added to Nash would only give the Suns 2 anyways..

dmontzsta
    The trade talk here in Phoenix is, Marion, Banks and Kurt Thomas to Minn. for KG. I am not sure KG is a fit here. Not that I wouldn't want his abilities, where Marion came up short thsi season during playoffs. I just don't think you can have 3 superstars on one team.
    If I am Minnesota I would straight up laugh at that offer. Banks? and Kurt Thomas? and a sketchy Marion?
    or.
    Odom, Young Bynum and Brown.

totenhosen
    If I am Minnesota I would straight up laugh at that offer. Banks? and Kurt Thomas? and a sketchy Marion?
    or.
    Odom, Young Bynum and Brown.
    But the key is that Kurt Thomas and Banks I believe have soon to be expiring contracts so that allows the Wolves to go after free agents.
    Either way it looks like Minny is getting boned.

bignet
    It's official...... that they're talking about a 3 to 4 team deal to get KG. Hate to say anything and jinx it, but you can't help feeling hyped about the real possiblity. I'm a Kobe fan, but the love is starting fade with all his talk. Let's get KG in here, and move on. If Kobe leaves later, I'm good w/KG.
    Not one to stir the pot, but it is all over the internet and ESPN....God I hope this goes through! Bring on the KG/ Kobi Era! Do I hear at least 3 championships? :idea:
    :devil:
    bignet

acatitude
    I think Laker fans are delusional. I don't see the addition by subtraction of this trade. The Lakers are going to trade their, admittedly, not great 2nd, 3rd and 4th best players and get another clear out offensive player? He's not a banger, don't even dare compare his to Shaq. He's a terrific weak side defender and rebounder and a great away from the basket scorer. He's not a banger and he's not an inside presence. He's a 2" taller version of Lamar Odom. Good luck.
    Gotta agree with swb on this one. garnett doesnt improve your defense when you minus what the lakers are losing, and he likes to play outside as oppossed to a banger. now yu have a second guy making big bucks and wanting the ball. wonder how long KG will like watching Kobe take 45 shots a game...

bignet
    I think Laker fans are delusional. I don't see the addition by subtraction of this trade. The Lakers are going to trade their, admittedly, not great 2nd, 3rd and 4th best players and get another clear out offensive player? He's not a banger, don't even dare compare his to Shaq. He's a terrific weak side defender and rebounder and a great away from the basket scorer. He's not a banger and he's not an inside presence. He's a 2" taller version of Lamar Odom. Good luck.
    I agree with you, but you've got to admit that a player like KG demands so much respect offensively that it would allow Kobi to, pretty much, carve up any defense thrown at him. He was doing that without a go to guy. And please don't compare Odom to KG as a "Go-to-guy". I liked Odom, but he is NO KG. He is not a banger, but I beg to differ he is a really crafty player and has some how found a way to be a consecutive all-star player. He's kinda good I think.

GAME TIME
    It is going to be a fun week until draft day. Make it happen Lakers!!!

acatitude
    regardless of the outcome if im the lakers and can sign KG to a longer contract I think you gotta do it.. At least you bring excitement back and wont lose Jack as a fan, lol.... and you can always find a few fill in bangers.... guess waltons scoring ave shrinks as he wont ever touch the ball less he gets a rebound and goes end to end............
    and there goes the triangle offense...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast