Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advise - UPS truck rear ended me

SJP
    2500 HD truck. UPS truck he me while I was at a dead stop. I had my hitch on and he hit it pretty square. Only noticeable damage is the rear bumper is pitched down a bit and it appears to have a slightly larger gap. I am concerned the hitch - receiver and frame may be damaged. Any recommendations on type or actual shops to get estimates. Thank you in advanced.

YeLLowBoaT
    had that happen to me with a DHL truck( long story) make sure what ever shop you take it too checks the frame and does not just look at the body damage.

Havasubum
    simons auto body in lake forest or pm pixilatedpussy on the boards

brianthomas
    The hitch bolts are designed to shear off and are brittle. I would replace them. I hit a pickup from behind once that had neglected to remove his ball mount after towing. He was ticketed and his insurance paid for my car. It is a huge no-no in many states to leave it on.

LUVNLIFE
    The hitch bolts are designed to shear off and are brittle. I would replace them. I hit a pickup from behind once that had neglected to remove his ball mount after towing. He was ticketed and his insurance paid for my car. It is a huge no-no in many states to leave it on.
    What states? I have never heard of this Although all info is usefull

brianthomas
    I was in Chicago. Seems the big issue is vehicles have millions of dollars invested in safety and security in case of accidents. Think about the crumple zones on the front of my car and the back of his truck. This damn ball mount completely negated all of it. I would not have been suprised if his insurance had said they would not pay for his truck since he failed to take normal precautions. And, leaving that thing on is so damned ugly along with being a perfect place to bang the crap out of your knee. I think we have all kicked them from time to time. It is just an issue of being lazy.

SJP
    I was kind of happy he did not jack the whole back of my truck up. Also leaving your hitch on protects your bumper (cosmetically) when people do not know how to park.

DelawareDave
    I hit a pickup from behind once that had neglected to remove his ball mount after towing. He was ticketed and his insurance paid for my car. It is a huge no-no in many states to leave it on.
    I don't know what state you are in, but in the states I am aware of, if you hit someone from behind, it is your fault, and you get the ticket.

redneckcharlie
    I was in Chicago. Seems the big issue is vehicles have millions of dollars invested in safety and security in case of accidents. Think about the crumple zones on the front of my car and the back of his truck. This damn ball mount completely negated all of it. I would not have been suprised if his insurance had said they would not pay for his truck since he failed to take normal precautions. And, leaving that thing on is so damned ugly along with being a perfect place to bang the crap out of your knee. I think we have all kicked them from time to time. It is just an issue of being lazy.
    I can't believe you are referring to an individual who left his ball on as being lazy. Your whole situation would have been avoided if you hadn't rearended them! That is the exact situation why I keep a huge reciever on my truck all the time. Its for the knothead that isn't paying attention and wants to test the structural integrity of the rear of my truck. To have any malice directed towards someone that you just rearend because they had their reciever in, is absolutely absurd.
    Back to the main subject, make sure they put your truck on a rack(frame machine) and check all the alignment points for the chassis. That is the only way to make sure the integrity of the frame is still intact. Any reputable shop should be able to do that in a couple hours.

NeverStop
    I would avoid simons auto body like a plague. My .02:idea:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast