Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just for old guys

Thunderbutt
    Do you remember when the Parker Enduro was called the Parker 9 hour, and it was a race for 9 hours, No eggbeaters and it was before that fireman invented the jjjeeetttdrive. V- Drives and a few K-T boats.(Jim Wilks). And Pat Paterson showed up with Super Cinders and the man said no way, no allisons or merlins allowed. And it originated at Lake Elsinore, a lake that had such shallow water that Lou Brumitt hit bottom. If there are any of you old farts still there, help me out with this subject.

spectras only
    Jim, you have to ask Mondello to chime in .He did the 9 hour enduro with an 18 spectra.

Thunderbutt
    Attla I know, but I'm talking about way before him. Originally posted by spectras only:
    Jim, you have to ask Mondello to chime in .He did the 9 hour enduro with an 18 spectra.

V-Drive Tom
    THUNDERBUTT, I sold programs up and down the shore line,in the mid sixties, when it was 9HRS and the RAWHIDE boat was kickin it. What year did it become smaller? I don't remember. I was about 10. I do remember that I did not like seeing the dual Merc,engine cats doing so good. The v-drive drivers were like the knarly Gladiators. Bouncin and hammerin like a sombitch. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

My memory for the 9 hr. goes back to the mid 60's as well, when I was about 10 or 11. It was an awesome start, and from the spot where our friends had a trailer,(about 3/4 of a mile from Badnochs, or 1000 feet up river from 'Hull's Hut' for all you REAL old timers) we could climb up the hill and see them comming up river after the LeMans start. Always remember the outboards running there, my dads buddy, Bob Massey ran a Switzer flying wing. They flat hauled ass. If I remember right he was killed at the 9 hour. I think he was the one who ran into a swarm of mosquitos, choked on them and stuffed his boat into a dock. I'm almost sure that was him but it may have been another racer.
    I didn't know the Parker race started at Elsinore, always thought they were 2 seperate races, like the Salton Sea 500. I have some old Speed and Spray mags from the mid 50's showing them running races at Parker.
    Not to stray off the original thing but back to Hulls Hut. It was a cool place on the river. The foundation from the old building is still there. They used to have a canal that the guys would pull their boats into and tie them off, away from the current. The place was done Tiki style with go-go dancers in bamboo cages. The bartender there would give us 25 cents for every horse fly that we could kill. He also had a pet racoon that would wander freely around the bar.
    The place made a huge impact on me, not only for the Tiki style thing, which my wife hates, but for all the wood deck flatties that used to be anchored there. Man, if I only had a time machine.

OR, its those Tiki places that gave us umbrellas in our cocktails and the world hasn't been the same since. Where I grew up that "Tiki" thing was the bomb, all the neighbors had some sort of tiki thing going on. Once again you took me back to my childhood, thanks.

Heads up
    This was before my time but my dad and grandpa both raced in the parker 9 hour, the elsinore race, and the salt n sea 500 for a number of years. My grandpa ran a Keith Black chrysler with injectors but I'm not sure he ever got her to hang together for a whole race. He was also the 2nd or 3rd guy to drive the first hydro built by Rich Hallet. We have some old family photos that were made into video of it too. I'm going to see my family this weekend and I'll try to get some old pics and post them next week.

Stab-n-Steer
    Old Rig, 058,
    Man I love the Tiki shit too! My folk's backyard had those torches and the patio looked like it was right out of Gilligan's Island. In my backyard, I built this really cool bar next to the pool that is in the Tiki hut motif. One year for Halloween I dressed up as a hula dancer complete with grass skirt and coconut bra!
    Lost Isle in the Delta has the Tiki theme going on and there's a great marina near there called Tiki Lagoon...
    I even put those little umbrellas in my glass of Budwieser... Long live the foo-foo drinks!
    S&S

126driver
    Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
    Old Rig, 058,
    I dressed up as a hula dancer complete with grass skirt and coconut bra!
    S&S
    Uh, too much information! J/K

Stabber,
    are these tiki places in the delta going to be near the tower park run this summer? I know you guys have said tha delta is ****ing huge, but I was hoping it would be close enough to run there one day.
    I was thinkin' of bringing some of my tiki mugs to TPII, and serve beers in them just for laughs while were all bsing around the camp fire. Yes. I admit it, I'm a headhunter (someone who spends good money on tacky tiki mugs).
    Your backyard sounds pretty cool to me, but you're starting to worry me with the bra thing.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast