Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you drain your oil?

Lumpy
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering how you drain your motor oil in your boats without making a mess? Thanks..........Lumpy

wsuwrhr
    Engine hoist. It pays to own your own tools. haha
    Brian

infotraker
    I have uesed the little battery powered pump with hoese, quite a mess when a hose comes off ! I am going to buy one of the pump style ones from west marine.

Costello
    I have the permanent drain fitting mounted at the bottom, on the side of the pan, which I have a hose connected to. At the hose end, I have a plug. When it is time to change oil, run the hose out of the bilge drain and into a catch pan. It is gravity fed and slow but most of the oil does come out. Changing trailer postion through the process helps. In the past I had one of the blue pump up cans, and it worked pretty well for me also, but it depends on what kind of hose access to your pan you have. With the siphon can, you need a big access port.

PGF545
    On our race flatbottom, there was enough room to put one of those boxes the a case of cokes or beer used to come in, then we would put a plastic bag in there and drain the oil into the bag. Most of the time we didn't make to big of a mess...lol.

63stevens
    I put a line with a bulkhead fitting on the pan and ran the line toa place higher up than the oil level. When it is time to change the oil I run a vaccuum in an old 30lb refrigerant bottle hooked to the bulkhead fitting and suck it out.

picklefork1
    They make a kit you install with a hose long enough to drain the oil without pulling the motor or making to much of a mess. Pull the motor once, install the kit and "set it and forget it", sorry wrong forum!!
    Good luck,

Timer
    I do it the same as Costello and picklefork1, with the hose already installed at the oil pan. I still made a mess when I pulled the filter off. I've got a remote filter mount, but the filter is in a horizontal position. I put a plastic trash bag under it but it didn't catch all the oil in the filter, so big mess in the bilge.
    Does anyone have a better way to catch the filter oil??

pgf127rt
    545. on my boat we didn't have enough room for anything but the garbage bag, almost evertime I changed the oil I would carefully put the bag under, pull the drain plug, catch all 10 qts. in the bag then try and remove the bag and get it vertical befoe losing any oil,with this acomplished I would slowly remove the bag full of oil and everytime the damn thing would catch on a strut bolt and spill the frigging oil all over the bottom of my boat, never failed, so it may be just as easy to go ahead and tilt the trailer to let most of the oil out the drains and then just clean up what is left, other than pulling the engine or installing a quick drain hose, I guess you just have to make a mess and con your wife into cleaning it up, LOLuck

Kindsvater Flat
    I have a valve on the pan that I hook a drill pump to. So far I haven't made a mess yet. Now that I said that it will probably happen with my luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast