Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo 290 Hydraulic Steering

Halvecta
    Anybody on here ever rig up a hydraulic system for the VP drives. I have seen some of the custom brackets that Latham has made for some of the old Donzi guys. Just kicking around the idea of upgrading the steering, which would allow for a bit more HP (and speed).

Havasu Hangin'
    Anybody on here ever rig up a hydraulic system for the VP drives. I have seen some of the custom brackets that Latham has made for some of the old Donzi guys. Just kicking around the idea of upgrading the steering, which would allow for a bit more HP (and speed).
    I did an external ram on my old boat with a 290. I had WPM fab a custom wingplate, and used their ram, hoses, etc. I'm not sure if they are still doing the fabbing, but other than the wingplate, you can use off-the-shelf stuff for everything else.
    The big issue for me was making sure the ram was mounted to the transom in-line (horizontally) with the pivot point on the drive. If you are off a little, the steering geometry will change as you trim the drive.
    I may have some old pics on my home computer. I think I still have the wingplate if you want it.

Halvecta
    Does the plate look like this?

Havasu Hangin'
    Does the plate look like this?
    Yeah- that's pretty close. I'll have to take a look when I get home tonight.

Halvecta
    Much obliged.

Halvecta
    Very impressive. That is very clean! Did you rig that up yourself?
    If you are able to dig up that top cap bracket, I may take it off your hands.
    Was the effort worth it with that drive?
    What system is that you used, Latham?
    How much horsepower and speed did you see in your setup?
    Wow, that is a number of questions. Sorry about that, but this is bugging me trying to make a decision. This seems a much cheaper choice than a whole new drive. My 290 is solid and clean.

Havasu Hangin'
    Very impressive. That is very clean! Did you rig that up yourself?
    If you are able to dig up that top cap bracket, I may take it off your hands.
    Was the effort worth it with that drive?
    What system is that you used, Latham?
    How much horsepower and speed did you see in your setup?
    Wow, that is a number of questions. Sorry about that, but this is bugging me trying to make a decision. This seems a much cheaper choice than a whole new drive. My 290 is solid and clean.
    Sorry, but I promised the cap to another member. WPM Racing in Corona made the cap, and I used their 15" ram. I'm sure any of those guys (maybe even IMCO?) can make a plate for you.
    Instead of going full hydraulic (and buying a pump), I used a Seastar helm pump...like the outboard guys use. I had around 450HP going to that drive- no worries. My main concern was cutting down the play in the stock Volvo helmet. It worked- that drive was rock solid after the install. It was a night and day difference.
    Like you, if I were to change to a Merc drive, I would have had to re-glass my transom, and buy a Bravo- it just wasn't worth it. I accomplished what I wanted for a fraction of the price of installing a Bravo.
    As you can see, I also installed a nosecone. If you want me to tell you what not to do on the nosecone install....I've got plenty of experience there, too...lol.

What is it you should not do on the nose cone install and what prop. did you run?
    I have a 24" Ultra LH and a 24" Ultra RH. I have a port helm so I will run the LH prop. My drive is about 1 1/2" lower than the bottom of the transome. I can move it up 1" or so. I may just have the bottom glassed if that is possible since I have a pad that is 12" wide at the back and runs forward about 5'-6'. My boat is an 1980 Kona mini daycrusier that was more or less designed for a jet drive. Any suggestions?

Halvecta
    I already have a nose cone on my lower, and it seems to be done right.?.
    What kind of boat is that, and how big?
    I am curious what your top speed was in that set up. I realize that the steering doesn't change the top speed, but I do not feel comfortable topping approx. 65-70 without hydraulic steering for safety reasons alone.
    Your pictures are very helpful. What prop are you running in those pictures? I run both a 3 & 4 blade thrasher. Bronson Hill has worked on both. The 4 blade feels much better in every aspect than the 3 blade, and the top speed is not much different on both. Maybe 2-3 MPH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast